2019 Budget Travel Guide to Kalanggaman Island + DIY Tips
Table of Contents
The island of Kalanggaman is famous for its crystal clear water, white powdery sand and long sandbars stretching on both sides of the island. The surrounding of the beach is really calm, safe and truly relaxing that’s why its suitable for family holidays or for a short weekend trip.
Where is Kalanggaman Island?
Kalanggaman Island is a beautiful beach destination located in the municipality of Palompon in the province of Leyte, Philippines.
Kalanggaman Map via Google Maps
In 2013, the island started to gain international exposure after MV Europa Cruise Line stopped over in the island and brought almost 400 passengers who stayed on the island for a couple of hours.
The island has a length of only 753m and is still uninhabited. There are no big resorts on the island but there’s Jeter Resort that offers Tipi Huts. Overnight camping via tent is also allowed on the island. To preserve the beauty of the place, the local tourism office only allows a maximum of 500 tourists per day.
To provide comfort and security to the tourists, the local government built basic facilities and made the island secured by Tourist Police who are stationed on the island.
If you are dreaming of a weekend getaway in a postcard-perfect virgin island, Kalanggaman is definitely the place to go. In this island, tourists enjoy activities like swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, and scuba diving.
In this Kalanggaman Island Travel Guide blog, we listed helpful DIY travel tips and advice on how to get there, things to do, places to eat, accommodation options, travel packages and more.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the island is during the summer season from February to May but you can still visit the island from October to June. Avoid the rainy and typhoon season which is from the months of July to September.
If you hate a crowded beach, avoid visiting the island during summer, national holidays, holy week and long weekends.
How to get there
Daily flights to Tacloban City, Ormoc City (both in Leyte) or to Cebu City.
Book your Flights to Tacloban City
- Ceres Bus bound for Manila via Maharlika Highway leaves Cebu North Bus Terminal every 8:00 am and arrives at Pulangbato Port in Bogo City at around 11:00am-12:00pm. From there, you can catch a Ro-Ro boat bound for Palompon.
- Travel by boat or a fast craft to Ormoc City, or you can travel by land to Bogo City then take a boat ride to either to Palompon or you can go straight to Kalanggaman Island Philippines. There are daily boat trips plying the Cebu City-Palompon route by Super Shuttle Ferry Pier 8 Private Pier Terminal in North Reclamation Area, Cebu City (Telephone: (032) 232-3150, (032) 231-0639, (032) 234-4121, (032) 345-5581).
|CEB – PAL||Monday, Thursday (8:00PM), Sunday (12:00PM)||Economy||350|
|PAL – CEB||Tuesday, Friday (8:00AM), Sunday (10:00PM)||Tourist||450|
|CEB – PAL||9:00PM Daily||Economy||465|
|PAL – CEB||9:00PM Daily||Tourist||585|
|BOG – PAL||Daily (12:00PM)||Economy||350|
|PAL – BOG||Daily (8:00AM)||Business||550|
* Rates may change without prior notice.
From Malapascua Island:
It’s a 1 1/2 hour to a two-hour boat ride to the island.
Go to the Van or Bus terminal located near the Ormoc City Park. It usually takes an hour and a half to two hours to reach Palompon Leyte. Rate: P120.00
The town proper of Palompon can be reached by a three-hour journey by van from Tacloban City. From Polompon Leyte, Kalanggaman Island is an-hour ride by regular boat and 39 minutes by a speedboat. Rate: P160.00
Here’s the complete guide on how to reach the Island of Kalanggaman
- Fly to Ormoc or Tacloban City
- Travel to Palompon Leyte by Bus or Van
- Register and pay Fees at Palompon Ecotours Office (contacts and rates below)
- Get or hire your own Boat (contacts and rates listed below)
Once you arrived in Palompon, it is mandatory for tourists to register first at Palompon Ecotours Office. The office is located in front of Liberty Park near the Municipal Hall of Palompon.
Palompon Ecotours Office
Contact Person: Arthur Douglas Arroyo/Daryle Roylo
- Landline: (053) 555 9731
- Mobile (Globe): +63 926 8164005
- Mobile (Globe): +63 926 8164007
- Mobile (Smart): +63 998 5551421
Kalanggaman Island Entrance & Conservation Fees / Tour and Camping Rates
|Regular – Day Tour Rates||Overnight Camping Rates|
|International Tourist||Php 500||Php 750|
|Non-Palompon Tourist||Php 150||Php 225|
|Non-Palompon College Student||Php 40||Php 60|
|Non-Palompon High School Student||Php 30||Php 45|
|Non-Palompon Elementary Pupil||Php 20||Php 30|
|Non-Palompon Senior Citizen||Php 120||Php 180|
How much is the round trip boat rental? (as of August 2018)
|15 Capacity||Php 3,000|
|25 Capacity||Php 3, 500|
|30 Capacity||Php 4,000|
|Small – 15 Capacity||Php 250|
|Medium – 25 Capacity||Php 500|
|Large – 30 Capacity||Php 750|
|4-person Tent (Php 200 Deposit + Valid ID)||Php 300/ night|
|2-person Tent (Php 200 Deposit + Valid ID)||Php 200/ night|
Things to do in Kalanggaman Island
- Scuba diving
Where to Eat
There are sari-sari stores in Kalanggaman Island that cooks short order food for tourists. You can also buy fresh catch from the local market and use the grilling stations and wooden tables that are available for tourists (FREE).
Resort in Kalanggaman Island
JeTer Resort, Kalanggaman Westside
Offers Teepee Hut for only P1,000/day with breakfast for 2. The resort has a clean restroom, a restaurant and they are also offering water sports rentals, activities that include:
- Jet Ski: 4,500 / Hour
- Banana Boat: P500 / Ride / 5Pax
- Kayak: P150 / Hour
- Snorkeling: P200 / 2 Hours
- Fat Bike: P150 / Hr
Where to stay in Palompon Leyte
Private Room in Palompon Town [Check Rates and Availability]
Available Amenities: Function Hall, Internet, Telephone Services
Room Types: Air-conditioned Rooms/Dormitories
Contact number: (053) 338-2880
Whispering Beach Mini Hotel
P. Del Rosario Ext. Brgy. Guiwan I
Available Amenities: Function Hall, Telephone Services, hot & cold water, Catering services
Room Types: air-conditioned Rooms/suite
Contacts numbers: (053) 338-2135/555-8045
Cor. San Francisco St. & Evangelista St.
Available Amenities: Internet Café, Telephone Service
Room Types: Air-conditioned Rooms
Contact number: (053) 338-3098
For the list of Airbnb accommodations near Kalanggaman Island, visit this link.
Tent for Rent in Kalanggaman Island
If you are planning to stay overnight on Kalanggaman Island, you can rent a tent at Hinablayan Outdoor Shop.
Rate: 300 / night (4-Person Tent), 250 / night (2-person Tent)
Deposit: valid ID + 200
Hinablayan Outdoor Shop is located in Rizal St. right in front of Palompon Tourism Office. You can also call 0998 999 4276.
Kalanggaman Travel and Tour Packages
Kalanggaman Island Tour from Cebu City
Take a day trip from Cebu to Palompon, Leyte’s famous pristine sandbar called Kalanggaman Island. This tour is the most convenient option to arrive at Kalanggaman Island by traveling directly from Maya Port in Cebu City to Kalanggaman (no more added public boat ride to Malapascua)
This tour includes the following:
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Round trip boat transfers from Maya Port to Kalanggaman Island
- Local English speaking tour guide
- Life vest and Snorkeling gear
There are also available tours from Malapascua if you are coming from this island.
- It is recommended to start your boat trip as early as 6am if you prefer smooth sailing.
- There are Tipi Huts for rent on the island but they are very limited, alternatively, you can bring your own tent or rent one if you want to stay overnight on the island.
- There are huts, Tippi Houses, and cottages for rent on the island.
- Tourists are allowed to bring their own food to the island.
- Do not travel from 12 noon to 3 pm if you want to avoid a rocky boat ride.
- Clean Restrooms and Shower Areas are available on the island but water is very limited.
- Bring enough drinking water, there is no potable water on the island
- Bring Power Banks for your Gadgets and Mobile phones, there’s no electricity in the island
- Smart has the strongest Mobile Phone signal on the island.
- ATM Machines are only available in Palompon town proper.
- Shower Areas with enough water are available at the Palompon Tourism Office.
- Be a responsible traveler, bring your own trash back to the mainland.
Be sure to arrive on the island between 8am – 10am if you want to capture stunning photos of the beach and the beautiful sandbar. Early morning sun provides the right amount of light that is perfect for taking photos of the beach.
- Overnight Camping in Kalanggaman
- 14 Amazing Beaches in Batangas to Visit for Summertime
- Top Beaches In Romblon That Will Make Your Vacation Blissful
- Exploring the Beautiful Beaches of Bulalacao in Oriental Mindoro
- Top 7 Uncrowded Beaches Near Metro Manila to Beat the Summer Heat
Do you have anything to add or suggest in this Kalanggaman Island Travel Guide? Please feel free to comment or email us to keep this guide updated!
This Travel Guide was originally published on February 6, 2012, and last updated in December 2018.
- Jomalig Island Travel Guide: Another Hidden Paradise Found!
- Top 10 Secluded Beaches in the Philippines
- Cagbalete Island Travel Guide
- Balabac Palawan Budget Travel Guide
Do you have a Pinterest account? Please pin this post.