Banaue Travel Guide: Explore Philippines’ Ancient Man-made Wonder
Table of Contents
(Banaue, Ifugao) – Banaue is a famous backpacking destination among foreign tourists because of its world-famous rice terraces, cool climate, and its tourist-friendly locals. In this Banaue Travel Guide, we listed down all the important things you need to know for your travel planning.
Banaue Rice Terraces view from Stairway Lodge and Restaurant
The Banaue Rice Terraces refer to the cluster close to the Banaue Poblacion as seen from the viewpoint. The Banaue Rice Terraces you see in the twenty peso banknote are not a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Banaue Rice Terraces exclusion in the UNESCO inscription was due to the presence of numerous modern structures, making it score low in the integrity criterion of UNESCO.
Ifugao Kid in Batad Rice Terraces
The five clusters inscribed by UNESCO as part of the Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras are Batad, Bangaan, Hungduan, Mayoyao Central and Nagacadan.
Hapao Rice Terraces in Hungduan
Banaue in North Luzon is a fourth class municipality in the province of Ifugao. Banaue is the site of the two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the Batad Rice Terraces, and Bangaan Rice Terraces. These rice terraces are 2000 years old monument of art and grandeur by the indigenous tribe of Ifugao and were constructed out of prehistoric tools by sculpting the surface of the earth.
Ifugao Ethnic Games
From Metro Manila
Ohayami Trans provides trips directly to Banaue. Banaue is 333 kms from Manila and it takes 9-10 hrs to reach Banaue, Ifugao Province.
Terminal Location: Lacson Ave. cor. Fajardo St., Sampaloc, Manila (Just near the University of Sto. Tomas)
Telephone Numbers: +63 927 649 3055, +63 917 561 7344, +63 2 516-0501. They have three daily trips – 21:00, 21:45 and 22:00 leaving their terminal in Manila.
From Baguio City
Banaue can be reached by jeepney, bus, or private car from Baguio City. For bus transportation, Ohayami Trans have a 9PM daily trip from Baguio City.
Related Article: How to reach Banaue Ifugao
Native Huts in Hungduan
Jeepneys and tricycles (little motorcycles with sidecars) are the two most common mode of transport around Banaue. Vans can be hired with driver/guide via local tour operators. There is a public jeepney plying the Banaue-Batad (Saddle-point) (start of trek to Batad village) route daily.
Rice Harvest in Batad
There are various Hotel and accommodations options in Banaue and most of them are located in the center of the town. Here are some of the popular places to stay in Banaue complete with contact info.
Banaue Ethnic Village and Pine Forest Resort
Apar Nga’-o Viewpoint, Banaue Ifugao
Tel: (074) 386.4082
Manang Jane : (63) 928-5214533
People’s Lodge & Restaurant (internet cafe also)
Tel. (6374) 3864014
Stairway Lodge & Restaurant (with internet cafe available)
contact number: 0639164567346
Tel. (6374) 4037
Tel. (6374) 3864094
Cozy Nook Inn
Tel. (6374) 3864003
Telephone (6374) 3864002.
Small guesthouse some meters up the ill from center.
Telephone (6374) 3864022
Native Village Inn, Uhaj village
9 km from Banaue, Telephone (63)9164056743
Poblacion Banaue Ifugao,
Sanafe Lodge and Restaurant, (next door to the market)
Nice balcony at the back with a pleasant view of the rice terraces.
Banaue View Inn
Telephone (6374) 386-40-78
Halfway Lodge, Banaue, Ifugao
Telephone (6374) 3864082.
Randy’s Brookside Inn
email add: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone +63 (0)917 577 2010.
Sanafe Lodge & Restaurant
Location: Banaue Trade Center
Telephone: ? +63 74 386 4085
Operating Hours: 6am – 9pm.
Offers Indoor and al fresco dining on a wide veranda with great views. Filipino, Asian & Western dishes.
Ilob Village Inn
Location: Poblacion, Banaue, 1 km from bus terminals).
Native Ifugao house with restaurant, surrounded with rice terraces. You can also request to see a traditional Ifugao show.
Melo Villareal with Ifugao Ladies
- Banaue Museum of Cordilleran Sculpture – A proud repository of rare photographs and artifacts that includes beads, baskets, pottery, woodcraft and woven materials, all of which depict various aspects of Ifugao history and material culture, the Banaue Museum is housed at the Banaue View Inn, a short walk away from the Banaue town proper.
- Visit Banaue Rice Terraces
- Banaue Rice Terraces Viewpoints and Souvenir Shops – Located along the Bontoc-Banaue Road, the viewpoint is a good 45-minute hike away from the Banaue town proper. For viewers, the Banaue Viewpoint provides a panoramic perspective of the terraces. For camera bugs and photo enthusiasts, the viewpoint offers a perfect photographic angle of the terraces.
- Visit Batad Village – Batad village is suitably made famous by its stunning amphitheater shaped rice terraces and the cascading waters and natural swimming pools of the Tappiyah Waterfalls. An hour`s ride away from Poblacion Banaue, the village proper can be reached after a 30-minute hike through mountain trails.
- Visit Bangaan Village Rice Terraces – The beauty of these rice terraces along the mountain ranges of Bangaan is best viewed on the road to Mayoyao. This rice terraces cluster and village represent the native Ifugao. It is a forty minute drive from Poblacion, Banaue and a twenty minute hike to the village.
- Visit Hapao Rice Terraces
- Visit Mayoyao Rice Terraces
Souvenir Shop in Banaue
Theres a lot of souvenir shops located in various viewpoints, town center, hotels and near the public market. Most common souvenirs are wood carvings, hand woven cloths and other handicrafts.
Ifugao Cultural Dancers
- Flashlights: Banaue and the surrounding villages have poor lighting at night.
- The best time to see many wonders in Banaue if you want to see the green terraces is from April to August. Rainy season is from July to January, cool months are from November to February.
- Bring Umbrella
- Bring Jacket
Banaue Tourist Information Center
Location: Poblacion, Banaue, Ifugao Near Public Market
Telephone: +63 74 386-4010 / 4011
Department of Tourism – Cordillera Administrative Region
Gov. Pack Road, Baguio City
Tel. No. – (074) 442-70-14
Tel. Fax No. (074) 442 – 88 – 48
E-Mail Address: email@example.com