Sikat Pinoy National Food Fair
Sitaw guisado, kare-kareng gulay, barbecue salad. These were just some of the appetizing vegetable dishes served by Mama Sita’s during the Sikat Pinoy National Food Fair held last March 14-18 at the Mega Trade Hall in Pasay City, Philippines.
Emphasizing the need for cooking and eating healthy, Mama Sita’s showcased delicious and nutritious examples of homecooked meals in their 7-day menu incorporating various locally available vegetables. The menu was designed to encourage families to include more vegetables in their daily meals for a healthier lifestyle.
Organized by the Philippine Department of Trade and Industry’s Bureau of Domestic Trade (DTI-BDT) in cooperation with DTI’s Regional and Provincial Offices, the Sikat Pinoy National Food Fair is an annual food festival that brings together Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) from different regions to promote and strengthen the local market. This year, more than 200 enterprises converged for the food fest, showcasing halal-certified products, regional crafts and delicacies, homemade specialties, and several natural and organic products.
Mama Sita’s Kare Kareng Gulay Recipe
|1/2 cup 15 ml COOKING OIL|
|1 pc 100 g EGGPLANT, sliced diagonally|
|1 tbsp 125 ml COOKING OIL|
|2 cloves 5 g GARLIC, crushed|
|1 pc 30 g RED ONION, sliced|
|12 pcs 100 g SITAW, cut into 2 inch lengths|
|1/4 cup 50 g Sliced BANANA HEART|
|1 cup 250 ml WATER|
|4 pcs 50 g PECHAY, separate stems from leaves|
|1 pouch 30 g MAMA SITA’S KARE-KARENG GULAY MIX,|
|1/2 cup 125 ml WATER|
|Bagoong (sautéed shrimp paste)|
Cooking Time: 12 mins
- In a pan, heat cooking oil and fry eggplant. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, heat cooking oil and sauté garlic and onion.
- Add sitaw and banana heart. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add water then the pechay stems. Bring to a boil.
- Pour the dissolved Mama Sita’s Kare-kareng Gulay Mix. Stir. Boil and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the pechay leaves. Stir and continue simmering until the sauce thickens.
- Add the fried eggplant. Stir and simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve with rice and bagoong.