Pahiyas Festival 2015 Schedule of Activities on May 15, 2015
Lucban, Quezon’s Pahiyas Festival is one of the most popular in the country. Every year, thousands of locals and foreigners alike make the trip to witness this unique event. Pahiyas Festival 2015 is no different. The festivities are weeks away and already, people are making travel preparations.
Lucban Pahiyas Festival 2015
It started out as a thanksgiving event by native Tagalogs as a way of giving back to anitos for the season’s bountiful harvest. They believed by feasting on their bounty and drinking their wine, it will ensure the same good result for the next year.
When Catholicism became more prevalent, the natives began offering their bounty to the Churches to celebrate Saint Isidore for interceding the farmers’ prayers to God. The harvest festival grew and soon, churches were no longer able to accommodate the townspeople who offer their harvest for blessings. The festival evolved where priests travel from door to door during a procession.
Pahiyas Festival 2015 in Lucban Quezon
Years later, due to the creativity of the people, the humble celebration of bounty has turned into a well-known festival that epitomizes the vibrant culture of the people from Quezon.
Pahiyas Festival Today
The heart of the festival is the lavish decorations each household puts upon their exteriors. It’s a friendly competition between neighbors outdoing each other with beautiful, colorful, and eye-catching decors of kiping and other materials. This results to unique and breath-taking streets and a transformed town.
Pahiyas Festival 2015 Schedule of Activities
Including in their displays are their bountiful harvests that include fruits, vegetables, and even meat. Tourists also make the trip for the Tiangge Ng Lukban where people can buy assorted goods, souvenirs, and other products found only in Lucban.
Lucban San Isidro Pahiyas Festival 2015 Calendar of Activities
April 5- May 19, 2015
|April 5-6||· Inagurasyon ng Bonggo Buhusaya 2015
· BUHUSAN: Theme: Frozen Opening (7:00 am/ Rizal Park)
|April 7-30||· 2nd People’s Cup Basketball Tournament
(Roman Catholic Basketball Court)
|April 21-24||· Audition per Barrio of D’Voice of Lucban / Indak Galaw (4:00 pm)|
|May 1||· Araw ng Paggawa
(Misa pasasalamat ng mga magsasaka / 6:00am at Roman Catholic Church)
· PAHIYAS Toda Fun Run
· Pagbubukas ng Tiyangge sa Lucban ( 2:00 pm at Rizal Park)
· Ritwal na Pag-aalay kay San Isidro Labrador
Guest singer artists:
THE BOYFRIENDS and Mutya ng Lucban 2015 Candidates
(2:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Parada ng Makukulay na Ilaw at Makukulay na Saklob (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 2||· Basketball Tournament (2:00pm at RPN Covered Court)
· Concert: THE BOYFRIENDS (8:00pm at SLSU Gym)
|May 3||· Pagakyat sa Kalbaryo (2:00pm at Dealo Hilltop)
· Basketball Tournament (2:00pm at RPN Covered Court)
|May 4||· Semi-Finals of Barrio San Antonio D’Voice/ Indak Galaw (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Red Cross 143 Satellite Office Opening Parade (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Basketball Tournament (2:00pm, May 4,5,6,7 at Basketball Court)
· Semi-Finals of Barrio San Isidro D’Voice/ Indak Galaw (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 6||· Paligsahan sa Sarap Lucban Minukmukan (Galyang)
(2:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Dance Recital-Summer Dance Workshop (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 7||· Arangya Making and Kiping Cooking Contest (2:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Semi-Finals of Barrio San Jose D’Voice/ Indak Galaw (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 8||· Basketball Tournament (6:00pm at Basketball Court)
· Semi-Finals of Barrio San Luis D’Voice/ Indak Galaw (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 9||· Street Dancing Sayaw Anok (2:00pm at Rizal Park)|
|May 10||· Yagyagan ng Kasaknong (5:30am at Rizal Park)
· Sponsors Time: Jollibee Childrens Hour (8:00am at Rizal Park)
· Mutya ng Lucban 2015 (7:00pm at SLSU Gym)
· SMB Beer Plaza (7:00pm at Regidor Street)
|May 11||· Hari at Prinsipe ng Tapas (8:00am at Rizal Park)
· Lalahan ng Buntal (2:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Pangkulturang Pagtatanghal (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 12||· Langgonisa Festival (Cooking Contest) (2:00pm at Rizal Park)
· Summer Workshop Recital (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 13||· Sponsors Time: Buscofan (9:00am at Rizal Park)|
|May 14||· Sponsors Time: Coke (9:00am at Rizal Park)|
|May 15||· Holy Mass (6:00am)
Pagaalay ng Pasasalamat kay San Isidro Labrador at Prusisyon ng Kanyang Imahe
· Grand Parade (2:00pm along PAHIYAS Route)
Order of Parade
· Timpalak Pahiyas Timpalak Sponsors Time: Smart (7:00pm Rizal Park)
|May 16||· Karera ng Kabayo ( 9:00 pm at Brgy. Palola)
· Grand Finals of D’Voice / Indak Galaw (7:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 17||· GARBO PARIN 2 CONTEST
· AWEH DANCE STUDIO RECITAL ( 8:00pm at Rizal Park)
|May 19||· HIYAS NG PILIPINAS SHOW
· AWARDING OF PAHIYAS WINNERS ( 3:00pm at Rizal Park)
Things to do in Lucban Quezon during Pahiyas Festival 2015
- Eat Pancit Habhab or Pancit Lucban
- Try Grilled Kiping
- Eat Lucban Longganisa and Hardinera at Buddy’s Pizza
- Watch the San Isidro Labrador Procession in the afternoon
- See the beautifully decorated houses covered with fruits, kiping, vegetables, local crops, flowers and local handicrafts
- Visit the Lucban Cathedral
- Visit Kamay ni Hesus Shrine
- Shop till you drop in various Pasalubong Shops and Tiangge at the Lucban Town Plaza
Pahiyas 2015 Travel Tips
- Arrive early to avoid traffic and get parking slot near the town center
- Get your best and favorite sneakers or rubber shoes
- Bring water bottles
- Bring cameras or video camera
- Wear hats
- Bring umbrellas
- Wear dry fit clothes
- Bring Jacket (It’s cold at night)
Where to Stay in Lucban during Pahiyas Festival 2015
Hotels in Lucban Quezon are already fully booked few months before the festival, the best alternative is to book a hotel in nearby City like Tayabas City and Lucena City.
- Queen Margarette Hotel Downtown
- Queen Margarette Hotel
- First Quezon Premier Hotel
- Ouan’s The Farm Resort
- M. I. Sevilla Resort
While the festival might have grown, the people have not lost sight of the true meaning of the event. It is giving thanks and giving back to God who has never failed to provide. The Pahiyas Festival 2015 is shaping up to be as exciting and fun as the years before!
How to get to Lucban Quezon
- Ride a Lucena City bound provincial bus.
- Bus terminals for transport to Lucena City can be found along EDSA-Kamuning, Buendia-Taft Avenues and EDSA in Pasay City.
- Get off at the Lucena Grand Central Terminal.
- From there, take another jeepney ride to Lucban Quezon.