Making traveling easy, safe & convenient for everyone
AirAsia Chief Operations Officer, Javed Malik shares about what AirAsia does to ensure those traveling during this essential travel period as well as guests with special needs such as wheelchair usage or high-risk groups such as expectant mothers or elderly guests can travel with confidence and convenience as we enter into the new norm of flying.
Question 1: Can you share what has been implemented by AirAsia during this essential travel period?
We have implemented various measures throughout different flight phases:
- Temperature screenings conducted at different checkpoints, including boarding gate.
- Social distancing with floor markers at queuing areas including check-in counter and kiosks.
- Hand sanitizers available throughout all journey processing points for guests and staff.
- Contactless technology – Use web or mobile check-in to reduce surface and physical contact.
- Our cabin crew are also updated with the latest safety information and guidelines before each flight.
- To facilitate social distancing during boarding and disembarkation, only ONE small carry-on bag or laptop bag not exceeding 30cm (h) x 40cm (l) x 10cm (w) is accepted for each guest.
- All guests are required to bring and wear their own mask before boarding, during flight and at baggage claim.
- All crew will be practicing proper hygiene standards including hand sanitisation and wearing masks and gloves.
- Onboard meals are made in accordance with food safety standards. Food and beverage service will be handled using gloves.
- Crew are well trained to assist with any medical situation inflight including identification and isolation of anyone onboard who may feel unwell.
Question 2: And what are your messages for AirAsia guests traveling during this period?
- We’d advise our guests to check their travel eligibility as the very first step. Different countries are imposing different regulations, so do check with your local respective governments on travel restrictions.
- Do arrive early at the airport, at least 3hours before your departure. This is to allow enough time for all the necessary processes to take place.
- Air travel is one of the safest modes of travel, especially with the deep cleaning, sanitising and disinfection that our aircraft and its cabin go through daily.
- Just ensure that you adhere to recommended global safety precautions such as wearing masks at all times, sanitise your hands and keep your social distance.
Question 3: I’m traveling with an infant and need to bring along a stroller or pram. Are there any new flying etiquettes I need to follow?
We aim to make it as convenient as possible for everyone to travel with us, apart from ensuring you arrive safely at your destination.
We continuously work hard to ensure that the aircraft and cabin environment is cleaned and disinfected regularly. And we also seek our guests’ cooperation to do what they can to ensure everyone gets to fly safely together.
If you are traveling with a pram or stroller for your child, you will be able to use it up to the boarding gate as usual and we will assist you by checking it into the aircraft hold before you board. Be assured that all of our employees handling this will be wearing masks and gloves.
We would recommend that guests with prams and strollers also take extra precautionary measures in cleaning them before bringing it to the airport for your journey.
Together, we can make flying in this new normal a safe, and easy experience.
Question 4: I need special assistance with a wheelchair during my essential travel. Is the process the same as before and how does AirAsia staff ensure that the wheelchair is safe to use?
All wheelchairs will be sanitized before and after being used by our guests and is sanitized by linen-free cloth and using the cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting products that are approved by the Public Health Authority.
Our Guest Service Agents who will assist to transport you to the departure gate will also be wearing masks & gloves. If you have family members traveling with you, do make sure social distancing is practiced throughout the process.
Guests on a wheelchair will also be part of social distancing measures as they will be the first one to board and the last one to disembark.
We would also recommend guests who plan to use their own wheelchair to take extra precautionary measures in cleaning them before bringing them to the airport.
To ensure that the wheelchair is available on your preferred date, you may pre-book Special Assistance (Wheelchair Service) at the time of booking or via Manage My Booking on airasia.com at least 4 hours before your scheduled flight departure time.
Question 5: How about expectant mothers or elderly guests (above 60 years old), who have a higher risk while traveling. What do I / they need to know before flying?
Expectant mothers or elderly guests (above 60 years old) can fly confidently as we have stepped up all precautionary measures to ensure you have a safe journey with us. You can read about all the new measures here.
If you are traveling with a pregnant guest or senior citizen, or if you are one – you may approach one of our friendly Guest Service Agents to speak upon arriving at the departure hall so they can help to direct you to a dedicated counter for check-in.
Most importantly, don’t forget to observe the universally recommended protective precautionary measures, including wearing a face mask and practicing high personal hygiene.
Searching for the best hotels, resorts, and affordable flights in the nearby Cities? Check out our list of affordable hotels and resorts via Agoda, or you may also see available Airbnb properties in the city.