A Complete Travel Guide to Caleruega Church, Nasugbu, Batangas
The south of Manila has been a popular choice for couples for their wedding venues — whether it’d be for the wedding photos, the ceremony itself, or even for the wedding reception. This includes places like Tagaytay, Cavite, and Batangas. For couples looking to get married in an idyllic Catholic Church, the Caleruega Church in Nasugbu, Batangas is worth looking into.
Not only is the place perfect for getting married, but it is also a great spot to get away from the bustling city, relax, enjoy, and reflect on one’s life. This is all thanks to the peace and quiet that the church complex offers, as well as the breathtaking scenery nearby. This travel guide to Calereuga Church will tell you everything there is you need to know before going.
About / History
The Caleruega Church is located in Batulao, Brgy. Kaylaway in Nasugbu, which is a rustic town in the province of Batangas, just a three-hour drive south of Metro Manila. The Church is perched on top of the highest point of the whole Nasubgu, which allows you to take in beautiful panoramic sceneries of the whole town.
It is also known as the Transfiguration Church and was originally founded in 1995. It is interesting to note that transfiguration is where humans meet God in Christian teaching, where the skies touch the earthly land. This is often likened to the mountain tops, or in this case, the hill where the church is located. At present, it is under the administration of the Fathers and Brothers of the Dominican Province of the Philippines.
Because of its beautiful surroundings and idyllic location, the Caleruega Church is a well-known spot for retreats, seminars, and other Christian activities such as meditation, religious reflecting, etc. It is also one of the most sought-after wedding venues for couples alike. The complex around the church, which is also available as a wedding reception venue, lends itself to this.
How to get there
As it is a popular tourist destination, Caleruega Church is easily accessible. There are many ways that you can reach it whether you choose to by bus, car, or even by public transport. Whatever your form of transportation, you will need to traverse the Tagaytay-Nasugbu Highway and get off at KC Hillcrest, which is also the jump-off point for Mount Batulao visitors.
Manila to Caleruega Church by bus
This is the cheapest and the most convenient option. It is preferable if you are traveling alone or are with a small group of friends.
Total fare: 200 php (150 php for the bus ride, 50 php for the tricycle)
Travel time: 3 hours total
From Manila, get on a bus that is bound to Nasugbu.
There are two bus companies you could choose from.
- BSC Bus – Their bus stop is located in EDSA-Taft Pasay.
- DLTBCO Bus – The bus stop is located in LRT-Taft Buendia.
- Tell the driver that you will be getting off at Hillcrest. Older drivers might know it by its old name, “Evercrest,” so you might also want to use it. You can also just choose to tell them that you are going to Caleruega Church.
- When you get off at Hillcrest, take a tricycle to Caleruega.
Manila to Caleruega Church by van
Taking the van is more convenient and faster than riding a bus to Nasugbu. However, the fare is a bit higher, justified by the comfort provided by the van.
Total fare: 180 Php flat rate
Travel time: Around 2 hours total
- From Manila, get on a van/shuttle service.
There are two locations for vans that go to Nasugbu.
- Taft Avenue-Gil Puyat Avenue – You can find the terminal in front of Jollibee at EGI Mall.
- EDSA Taft Avenue – You can find the terminal behind the Kabayan Hotel.
- Tell the driver to drop you off at Hillcrest or that you are going to Caleruega Church.
- From Hillcrest, take a tricycle to the church.
Manila to Caleruega Church by private car
This is the ideal transportation mode for those who are visiting Caleruega Church for wedding preparations or for the wedding itself. While expensive, it definitely provides the luxuries that public transport does not have.
- Take the Santa Rosa Exit after leaving Manila. And then, turn right once you have taken the toll fee. However, since Santa Rosa is usually traffic-congested, we suggest the Greenfield Exit or the Eton Exit as alternatives.
- Turn right to the Tagaytay-Nasugbu Highway at the end of the Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Road. Drive straight until you reach the WELCOME TO NASUGBU or the MALIGAYANG PAGDATING SA NASUGBU arch.
- From the arch, you will reach the Y-shape intersection. From which, go left until you reach the KC Hillcrest entrance.
- Continue driving until you see a sign that tells you to turn right to reach Caleruega Church. Keep in mind that the sign might not easily be spotted as it is quite old and roughened.
VIA EMILIO AGUINALDO HIGHWAY
- Drive along the Emilio Aguinaldo Highway once you leave Manila. You will pass by Bacoor, Imus, and Dasmariñas.
- Once you’ve reached the end of Emilio Aguinaldo Highway, you will be at the Tagaytay Roundabout (Rotonda). Drive straight until you reach the Tagaytay-Nasugbu Highway.
- There is a Y-intersection at the Batangas-Cavite boundary. The right branch goes to Nasugbu. Left is to Lemery. Take a right.
- The right in the intersection will have the WELCOME TO NASUGBU arch, from which, drive straight until you reach the KC Hillcrest drop-off point at the left side.
- Continue driving until you reach a sign that tells you to take a right to Caleruega Church. Keep in mind that the sign might be harder to spot due to it being roughened.
Things to do at Caleruega
There are lots of things to do in Caleruega, from the church to the nearby areas. Here, we’ve compiled a list of the activities that you can engage in. This list is curated for tourists and travelers alike.
Marvel at the Fountain Compass
This is the first landmark you will see when you get to Calereuga and where your memories will start. This is a circular fountain surrounded by pretty potted plants.
Take photos at the Cenaculum and the Dominicum’s grand stairway.
This is the stairway that leads to the actual Church and will be the next landmark that you will pass through from the Fountain Compass. It will serve as a great background for your photos to look back on.
Visit the Transfiguration Chapel
This is the highlight and main tourist attraction in Caleruega. It is a serene place where you can attend mass, meditate, or engage in other religious activities. It is best known for bringing Christian pilgrims closer to God.
Pray at the Tent Chapel of Transfiguration
Not to be confused with the main church itself, this Tent Chapel is open-air and features large stained-glass imagery of God. The surrounding area is a lush green and is the perfect place for praying in solemnity and silence.
Wonder at St. Dominic’s Point
This point is the imagery of St. Dominic, whose hometown is the namesake of this church. Interestingly, St. Dominic is the patron saint of astronomers, and the Transfiguration Church is located in the “meeting point” of the heavens and the humane land.
Watch the koi fish in the Koi Pond.
Some walkways lead up to the clear and vibrant Koi Pond, from which you can enjoy watching the fish or simply enjoying the breeze and the scenery.
Hike at Mount Batulao
Already moving away from the Caleruega complex, there is the nearby Mount Batulao, where you can hike for a day and challenge your limits.
Enjoy food at The Wild Juan.
Just 2.9 miles away from the Caleguera Church is The Wild Juan, an awesome restaurant that serves great Filipino lutong bahay foods.
Make it happen in Caleruega
- Retreats and recollections
- Leadership and team-building camps
- Prayer and renewal workshops
- Marriage and family encounters
- Weddings and receptions
- Art, Music, liturgy, and care for creation workshops
Caleruega Mass Schedule
The regular Sunday mass service is at 11:00 AM. The Church closes at 5:30 PM on Mondays to Saturdays.
Wedding Rates and Schedule
The wedding fee for the Calereuga Church is PHP 20,000 for the peak months of December or January. For the rest of the year, during February and November, the fee is PHP 15,000.
This already includes a sound system, organ, and CD player. As well as a sacristan who will assist throughout the wedding. This also includes a priest to officiate the wedding; however, you can always choose to bring in a priest of your choice to officiate your wedding.
All other wedding essentials such as flower arrangements, venue preparation, photography, etc., should be outsourced from outside wedding suppliers.
If you choose to have the reception at the Caleguera Church complex, there are 4 options to choose from. Plaza de Aza and TukTok, and Campo Arriba are outdoor reception venues, but you can set up tents to accommodate people under the shades. The remaining venues, Veritas Hall and Gazekubo, are indoor ones.
The table below is a summary of the prices and the maximum number of attendees for the reception venues. This makes the whole wedding much convenient as the supplies and guests only need to be transported to one place.
|Venue||Price||Max # attendees|
|Caleruega Church (December and January)||PHP 20,000||–|
|Caleruega Church (February to November)||PHP 15,000||–|
|Plaza de Aza and TukTok (Rooftop Deck)||PHP 40,000||200 persons|
|Veritas Hall||PHP 15,000|
+ PHP 7,500 (for air conditioning)
+ PHP 5,000 (for air conditioning)
|Campo Arriba||PHP 40,000||200 persons|
The table below tackles the available schedules that you can book for your wedding. We’ve presented the time as well as the day of the week that these timeslots are available.
|9:00-11:00 AM||Mondays to Saturday|
|3:00-5:00 PM||Monday to Saturday|
|6:00-8:00 PM||Monday to Saturday|
Caleruega Philippines Contact Info
House of St. Mary Magdalene
Address: Batulao, Nasugbu, Batangas
Email: [email protected]
Telephone/Smartphone number: +63921-270-9890 / +63921-830-4226
Office Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm daily
Be sure to bookmark this Caleruega Church travel guide to help you plan your trip accordingly.
Want more updates about new package tours and tourist spots in Nasugbu, Batangas, Philippines? Follow #TeamOutofTown, on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin, and Pinterest for more travel ideas.
- Best Beach Resorts In Nasugbu Batangas
- Beating The Summer Heat: 6 Affordable Beach Trips Near Metro Manila
- Fitness Holiday In Nasugbu, Batangas