Ultimate Travel Guide to Sohoton Cove National Park, Philippines
Table of Contents
Surigao del Norte, Philippines — The beauty of Surigao del Norte is no secret for Filipinos and even foreign travelers. But did you know that there’s a hidden gem in Bucas Grande, Socorro that you should see? Book a Siargao Tour today and get ready for an exciting adventure on the beautiful island in the south.
In this Sohoton travel guide, we’re going to learn some interesting facts that make Sohoton a must-visit place in Surigao. You will discover the best time to visit here, ways to reach this destination, the best places to stay on the island, foods to try, activities to experience, and a lot more!
When you visit the island, you will know why many tourists are going to Sohoton and what makes it special. Aside from the white sand beaches, you will also enjoy the breathtaking scenery of nature as well as the friendly locals you will chance upon.
Sohoton is located in Socorro, a town in Surigao province where you can also visit the amazing island of Bucas Grande – also called the Sohoton Cove National Park.
It’s not really popular yet, but the visitors coming in to see the park is enough proof that this travel destination is increasingly becoming a favorite spot. No wonder it will grow into a must-visit place like Siargao.
When to Visit Sohoton
The best way to enjoy your Sohoton escapade is to visit it during the dry season when there’s low tide to access the vanishing entrance to the cove and Blue Lagoon.
Of course, the summer months (March—November) will give you the perfect weather to explore Surigao including the waterfalls, ironwoods, inland lakes, beaches, and fishing areas.
How to Get There (From Manila)
From Manila, you can travel to Bucas Grande via airplane, Philtranco bus, or a ferry boat. These modes of transportation all directly lead to Surigao City.
Once you arrived at the bus terminal or airport, you can get a multi-cab or tricycle going to Pier 1 or Pantalan Uno. From there, you will ride a boat for two hours to reach Bucas Grande.
Small boats are the best way to get around Bucas Grande. Your tour package may include a round trip boat to bring you to all the spots, or you can rent one if you’re traveling with friends or family.
Where to Stay
There are plenty of cozy places to spend the night in Bucas Grande or even for several days. Here are the top three options:
- Club Tara Resort [Check Rates and Availability]
- Kanlunes Beach
- Cinnamon Island
Where to Eat
If you want to try some popular local dishes on the island, here are the top three restaurants you can check out:
- Sohoton Tabaya Floating Restaurant
- Club Tara Resort
What to Do and See
You will never get bored once you’re in this paradise because there’s plenty of exciting activities you can do and see. Here are the top four spots you must experience:
- Boating while enjoying the unusual charm of Tiktikan Lake. If you haven’t maneuvered a boat before, this is a challenging yet fun activity to try with some friends.
- Climbing and cliff diving in Magkukuob Cave. This low-ceiling cave is interesting to explore during low tide season, but you need to dive in the entrance to get inside during high tide.
- Cave adventures in Bolitas and Crystal Caves. If you don’t mind trekking uphill, Bolitas and Crystal Caves is the perfect place. The marvelous stalagmites and stalactites formations are naturally molded some centuries ago.
- Marvel at the breathtaking beauty of Sohoton Cave. This is the cherry on top, the ultimate tourist attraction you should check out in order to complete your Sohoton tour. It’s majestic, serene, and everything beautiful, especially during low tide.
Interesting Spots You Can Check Out
The following are the top five spots you need to visit when traveling to Bucas Grande, Surigao del Norte:
- Horse’s Shoe Rock Formation
- Stingless Jellyfish Sanctuary
- Kanlunes Beach Resort
- Club Tara Resort
- Blue Lagoon
- Bolitas and Crystal Caves
- Bucas Grande
Wi-Fi and Internet Access
You can connect to your mobile network Wi-Fi if you want to get fast internet. However, there are areas with weak network signal so find the best spots if you want to make a call or connect to the internet. There are some resorts that offer Wi-Fi.
Sohoton Travel Tips
- Buy food and fish from Dapa or Claver to make sure you will have supply when staying in Bucas Grande.
- Book your tour with the Municipal Tourism Office located in Socorro to ensure safe visit in the island.
Sample Sohoton Itinerary and Budget
- 7:15am – Port of Hayanggabon in Claver
- 9:15 am – arrive at Sohoton
- 9:30am – check-in/ snack
- 10:00am – island hopping
- 12:00pm – lunch
- 1:00pm – visit Bucas Grande
- 5:00pm – back to hotel
- 7:00am – breakfast
- 8:00am – visit Magkukuob Cave, Bolitas and Crystal Caves
- 12:00pm – lunch
- 1:00pm – check out Horse’s Shoe, Stingless Jellyfish Sanctuary, etc.
- 4:00pm – check out
Sohoton Budget Breakdown
- Transportation – 1,200 to 1,500 pesos for boats up to 15 passengers, 120 pesos going to Hayangabon Port
- Accommodation – ranging from 900 to 2,600 pesos
- Food – you can find meals for as low as 50 or 100 pesos
- Island tour – around 1,200 or up depending on the tour package
This is only an estimate of how much you may spend, rates and fees change from time to time so make sure to prepare your travel budget.
Have you been to Sohoton Cove National Park? Please help us improve this Sohoton travel guide by sharing more travel tips, interesting and unique things to do and personal recommendations.