Jollibee and Starbucks are Now at Mactan-Cebu International Airport

The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) now plays host to two major food and beverage brands, Jollibee and Starbucks. GMR MEGAWIDE Cebu Airport Corp. (GMCAC) made the announcement for the edification of stakeholders, providing passengers with more food and drink options.

jollibee opening at Mactan-Cebu International Airport domestic departures area
jollibee opening at Mactan-Cebu International Airport domestic departures area

Filipino-based multinational company and fast food chain Jollibee opened two stores on April 1, 2016.  Domestic passengers arriving and departing at the MCIA will have the option to dine in one of them at locations convenient to them. The Jollibee store at Domestic Arrivals can seat up to 30 people over 110 sq. m. while the one in Domestic Departures has no seating capacity at 86 sq. m. and for take-out orders only.

US-based designer coffee chain Starbucks opened its MCIA store more than a week earlier on March 21, 2016. The 90 sq m store is located right by the Northwing check-in counters, convenient for anyone with time to spare before boarding. It can seat about 40 people.


Looking for a Place to Stay? Visit Agoda for a wide range of accommodation options with great hotel deals and best price guarantee.

The new food establishments at the MCIA are not limited to big chains, however. Cagayan de Oro’s Missy Bon Bon opened an outlet on March 6, 2016 in Domestic Departures right by Gate 5. Missy Bon Bon offers pasta dishes, sandwiches, pastries, and gelato. Other F&B outlets to open in the near future include Ulli’s Streets of Asia, part of Ulli’s Streets of Asia. As the name implies, Ulli’s offers all types of street food, inspired by the cuisine of China, Japan, and other Asian countries. It will seek to draw the patronage of international travelers with its location in the pre-departure area of the International flights.

GMCAC President  Louie Ferrer says, “The entry of more shopping and food options for passengers is a testament of GMCAC’s commitment to provide more selections for our passengers. The retail environment inside the airport is getting to be more exciting in the coming months.”

Aside from food and beverage outlets, passengers can soon shop at one of two Filipino-based Bench retail stores. One will be at International Pre-Departures, and another will be in the Domestic Departure area.

starbucks coffee near check-in counters of Mactan-Cebu International Airport
starbucks coffee near check-in counters of Mactan-Cebu International Airport

All this retail activity at the airport is in keeping with the branding of the MCIA as a significant component of, as Mr. Ferrer puts it, “Cebu’s much-envied global reputation as a resort destination.”

Philippine major construction company Megawide has a controlling interest (60%) in the MCIA, with GMR Group of India owning the rest (40%). However, GMCAC operates and manages it as part of its concession agreement with the government for the next 25 years.

Currently, GMCAC is constructing the first phase of the Passenger Terminal Building, slated to change the Cebu travel experience. The new terminal is set for completion by the latter part of 2018. This will increase the passenger handling capacity of the MCIA by 8 million. The total capacity of MCIA at present is 4.5 million passengers.

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.