Italians love Basil!
They are drawn by its smell, its taste, its soft texture and by its sinewy shape. In fact, most of their famous dishes are inspired by this very aromatic plant. One of Italy’s famed dish is Pesto.
Pesto is a thick sauce originally concocted in Genoa with basil, pine nuts, crushed garlic, olive oil, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and a sheep’s cheese called, Fiore Sardo.
The ingredients are gradually mixed together and pounded or pestato (in Italian) with mortar and pestle to achieve a thick paste.
As the name connotes, Pesto literally means I pound, from the root word pestare, meaning to pound.
Since then, many variations have been created to accommodate the available ingredients of the place where this delicious sauce is being served.
In the Philippines, the pine nuts in Pesto is replaced with local cashew nuts, also added with Parmesan cheese. Though this cheese is tasty, its taste is subtle compared to the Parmeggiano Reggano in Italy.
Thanks to Clara Ole, cooking dishes with Pesto is made very easy! This famed Italian sauce is available in ready-made packs to offer people on-the-go a perfect gourmet dish in no time.
Like this pasta of Farfalle with Tomatoes and Pesto, which only takes 10 minutes to make, good for 5-6 people.
Try this hearty recipe on your next lunch meal.
Farfalle with Tomatoes and Pesto Pasta Ingredients
- 1 pack Farfalle Pasta
- 8 ripe Tomatoes
- 1 head Garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Rock Salt
- 1 pack of Cheesy Pesto by Clara Ole
- Boil water in a casserole. Add 2 handfuls of rock salt.
- In a pan, sauté garlic and tomatoes. Set aside when garlic is soft.
- Add pasta into the casserole when water reaches boiling point.
- Stir the pasta so it does not stick together. Turn off the fire when the pasta becomes al dente (almost soft).
- Add a cup of the pasta water into the pan with garlic and tomatoes.
- Transfer the pasta into the pan.
- Open the pack of Cheesy Pesto by Clara Ole and drain the oil from it.
- Pour the Cheesy Pesto into the pan and mis together with the pasta.
- Serve while warm.
- Good for 5-6 people.