Buenos Aires is the capital as well as the largest city in Argentina, in fact the second largest metropolitan area in South America after San Paulo.
Clocking in with a population of about 13 million, Buenos Aires is listed as an “Alpha World City” by the Loughborough University group’s 2008 inventory. Here are 5 do not miss things to do when you visit Buenos Aries.
- San Telmo is a fair that operates full force Sundays but to avoid crowds, you should actually visit midweek. The atmosphere alone makes it worth a visit. Here you will find many antiques and trinkets local to Argentina as well as some fantastic restaurants. Try the Bar Dorrego on Defensa for example.
- The Teatro Colon is the city’s great opera house. You will find the performances to be relatively inexpensive. If you are not interested in classical music or opera though the tour alone is worth a visit due to the beautiful auditorium and backstage area.
- La Boca- Actually not a very desirable neighborhood, but it is a popular tourist destination. The picturesque small street called Caminito can be very touristy though worth a visit because of the artist Quinquela Martin whose house and studio are located here as well as a museum of his works. While in this area you must take in a game of Futbol or soccer as the Americans call it. Even if you are not a fan, this is an experience you do not want to miss.
- You should also visit the Plaza Carlos Pelligrini. The plaza itself here is not the attraction but there are some fantastic buildings here to see specifically the Brazilian and French Embassies. Walking down towards the Recoleta will give you a look at the high and luxurious side of Buenos Aires culture.
- Buenos Aires is known for its architecture so lastly we recommend Av de Mayo: the best architecture in the city. Begin your journey here at the Plaza de Mayo and stroll towards Congreso. You can find many guide books to help you understand this area, but take your time and take in all the unique scenery here.
Buenos Aires is a huge city and there is a ton to do. Start with these 5 tips and you will be pleasantly surprised at where they will lead you. Theres also plenty of options when it comes to accommodation in Buenos Aires.