The Ultimate 2020 Travel Guide to Siquijor Island
Table of Contents
Siquijor has been always known as The Mystical Island. Siquijor is believed to have magic potions, shamans, sorcerers and witches and because of these superstitions, a lot of Filipinos are not visiting this beautiful island.
This Siquijor Island Budget Travel Guide offers basic travel information on things to do, where to stay, how to get there, recommended tour guide, DIY Tips, Itinerary, expenses and other contact information that will help you on your next visit to the Magical Island of Siquijor.
Siquijor Travel Guide: The Mystical Island of Fire
Also known as the 3rd smallest province in the Philippines, this island was discovered by the Spaniards hundreds of years ago. These pioneers named it “Isla del Fuego” or “Island of Fire” and since then the mystery of Siquijor has deepened, to entice the curiosity of many international visitors just like the Spaniards.
The island is located a few kilometers off Negros Oriental, Siquijor boasts some 72 kilometers of beautiful coastline. There are 10 declared marine sanctuaries and one marine reserve that contain abundant species of fishes, corals, seagrasses and other water life. Everyone who visits Siquijor gets captivated by the island’s breathtaking panoramic views.
How to get to Siquijor Island
The province has 3 big seaports strategically located in Larena, Lazi, and Siquijor. The port in Larena is the main entry point of the province. With the recent entry of fast crafts to Siquijor, Larena port is becoming a hub of travelers in the province. The port links Siquijor to Iligan and Plaridel in Mindanao, and the cities of Cebu, Dumaguete, and Tagbilaran.
- Fly to Dumaguete City. Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific offer daily flights to Dumaguete City. It takes about an hour to reach Dumaguete City from Manila by air.
- From Sibulan Airport aka Dumaguete Airport, take a tricycle or jeepney ride to the port. Fast Craft ride usually takes an hour to reach the island of Siquijor.
- From the port of Siquijor, you can take a tricycle or habal-habal ride to reach your accommodation just in case a hotel pick-up is not available.
By Fast Ferry: Delta, Weesam Express and Oceanjet Fast Ferry has a daily schedule to Siquijor.
By Ship: Jaylann II and Delta Car has a daily schedule to Siquijor
By Motorized Boat: Prima, Jaylann I and Siqujior Princess had daily boat schedules.
- Make your way to Santander in Southern Cebu by Bus. Multiple Bus Companies offer this route at South Bus Terminal. Travel time from the Bus terminal to Santander is about 3 hours.
- Upon reaching the town of Santander, go to Liloan port and pay for your ferry ticket and terminal fee to Sibulan Port. Travel time is about 30 Minutes.
- From Sibulan port, ride a jeepney to Dumaguete City.
- From Dumaguete Port, book your ferry ride to the island of Siquijor. It takes about an hour to reach the island of Siquijor.
- Ocean Jet Fast Craft has a daily morning ferry schedule from Tagbilaran Port to Siquijor. Travel Time 3 to 3.5 hours.
Bohol-Siquijor OceanJet Ferry Ticket Price (One Way)
Experience hassle-free booking and fast ferry ride between Bohol and Siquijor.
From Iligan City
- MV Siquijor Island and Orlines Sea-Land Transport offer ferry trip to Lazi Port in Siquijor.
Getting around Siquijor
- Hire a motorbike for around 350 pesos per day (cheaper for long-term). Available from Siquijor town and many resorts.
- Hire a tricycle.
- Jump on a Jeepney.
Where to Stay in Siquijor Island
During my recent trip to Siquijor, we were hosted by Coco Grove Beach Resort. This resort is probably the best resort on the island. It has a beautiful beach, world-class amenities, and a relaxing atmosphere. The resort is huge but even if the entire place is fully booked, you will still feel like you are in a private resort. Depending on the number of guests in the resort, they are offering a cultural presentation showcasing Philippine Folk Dances which are performed by staff and members of the local community. Heres a list of affordable hotels and resorts in Siquijor from WikiTravel.org:
- Coco Grove Beach Resort, San Juan Siquijor – 0917 325 1292 (check rates and availability) –
- Kiwi Dive Resort, Sandugan Beach, Siquijor Island, Telephone – 0354240534, Located in the quiet northern tip of the island. Cottages with kitchen and rooms available. Daily scuba diving and massage available. Offers Free Wifi.
- Cliff Side Beach Resort and Cottages, Sandugan Beach, Siquijor Island (check rates and availability). This is a new resort right on the beach, just down from Kiwi Dive
- Hard Rock Cottages, Bitaug, Enrique Villanueva, Siquijor (8 km north of Larena), Telephone 0926 278 6070 (check rates and availability), Located on the northernmost spot of the island. Free Wifi.
- Czars Place Just outside San Juan. The other side of the road from the beach. Double rooms with bathroom.
- JJ Backpackers Situated on San Juan beach. Dormitory available and one double room.
- Lorna’s End of The World Beach apartments, San Juan (less than one km from San Juan towards Siquijor), Telephone +639273816377. Just outside San Juan town (towards Siqujior). Big rooms with a beach view.
- Casa de la Playa is a great little resort with different cottages form P 1100 and up. Nice restaurant. Nice white beach; great for swimming. Mobile Number: 09173232656
- Villa Marmarine Near Siquijor Town on the way to Larena. It has a decked restaurant and a clean kitchen with very good food. There are grand and unique cottages of various sizes and costs. All have sea views. The landscaped beach is well maintained and cleaned every morning. There are lots of hammocks and a pleasant garden with soft grass. Free WI-FI.
- Kawayan Holiday Resort – Luxury Boutique Style Resort, Cangmunag – Siquijor, Telephone +63 916 212 3130
- Gold Sky Seaview, Maite, San Juan, Siquijor Island, Telephone: 09169236243. email@example.com Very close to Czars (opposite side of the road, exactly opposite to the school). 3 Cottages, clean, big rooms with kitchen, a/c or fan.
- Casa Miranda, (on the beach just outside San Juan, between JJ’s & Lorna’s). Cheap, clean fan rooms with ensuite bathrooms & flushing toilets. Free water, free wifi in common area & hammocks.
- Tori’s Backpacker’s Paradise, Maite, San Juan, Siquijor, Telephone: 09071326666.
Things to do and see in Siquijor
Tulapos Marine Sanctuary
The biggest of the several marine sanctuaries in the province located in Enrique Villanueva. The Marine Sanctuary is a natural habitat to abundant fish species and underwater marine life.
Visit Cambugahay Falls
3-tiered waterfall & a swimming hole with clear waters, reachable by a short hike with concrete stairs.
Siquijor Cambugahay Falls and Heritage Day Trip Package
- Experience a safe and hassle-free journey starting from and ending at your hotel in Dumaguete.
- Enjoy a private tour around Siquijor Island along with roundtrip ferry tickets.
- Visit centuries-old churches of Siquijor and peek into the religious traditions of locals.
- Take a dip in the turquoise waters of Cambugahay Falls and see the famous 400+-year-old Balete Tree
Visit San Isidro Labrador Church Convent or Lazi Convent
Built by Spanish priests in 1884 in Lazi, it is the biggest and among the oldest convents in Asia and recognized as a national historical landmark.
St. Francis of Assisi Church, Bell Tower, and Convent
A Spanish period church made of stone, cruciform and nipa roof, while the adjoining convent is also made of stone rubble. The bell tower stands separately from the church across the plaza, suggesting that it also served as a watchtower against raiders from the sea.
Visit Salagdoong Beach
A romantic hideaway in Maria tucked in a cove, fine white sand and a nearby islet providing a good vantage point of the beachfront.
Noted for its picturesque seascape and rock formation, it is situated below a cliff and accessible by a concrete staircase.
San Juan de Capilay Lake
A spring-fed swimming pool situated near the San Juan Town Plaza is a favorite destination of local folks when they cool off from the heat of the sun.
A long and winding cave in Siquijor town which will surely delight true-blue spelunkers. After a challenging and adventurous 90-minute trail, they are rewarded with a refreshing and rejuvenating dip in the pool.
Mt. Bandilaan National Park
Situated at the center of the province straddling the towns of Lazi and Siquijor, it is home to endemic flora and fauna. Other attractions within the park include religious parks, natural springs and a butterfly sanctuary which is home to Asia’s biggest butterfly.
Visit the Century Old Balete Tree
Grand 400-year-old Banyan tree with a spring at its base where visitors have their feet nibbled on by fish.
Festivals in Siquijor
A marriage ritual held in Lazi every September where parents of the bride and groom prepare a fest and take turns advising the couple on married life. The rites are depicted in street dance competition that serves as a highlight of the weeklong Araw ng Siquijor Charter Day Celebration.
Held on October 1 in Siquijor to showcase the people’s distinct hospitality and the ancient name of the island “Isla del Fuego” because of the swarm of fireflies at night. The festival also honors St Francis of Assisi – the patron saint of animals.
Folk Healing Fest
Herbularyos from Visayas and Mindanao converge in the barrio of San Antonio, Squijor where ancient medicinal potions are prepared and tested every black Saturday with the belief that with the death of Jesus Christ, spirits roam the earth and share their healing powers to the sick.
Held in San Juan, it celebrates a bountiful harvest in honor of St. Augustine. Bugwas means a spurt of water from the underground which gives farmers bountiful harvest, the fishermen with an abundant catch.
Banking and Money Transfer
There are two Allied Bank ATM Machines in the town of Larena. To avoid the hassle, you can withdraw cash from Dumaguete City or Cebu City.
Siquijor Sunset – Siquijor Island Travel Guide
Siquijor Travel Itinerary
Read our detailed itinerary to maximize your visit to the Island of Siquijor:
Siquijor Travel Tips
- Best time to visit the island is during the dry season which is from November to May
- Bring enough cash, there are only two ATM Machines on the entire island
- A day tour to Siquijor is possible, the island is an hour away from Dumaguete City
Siquijor Provincial Tourism Office:
New Capitol Building
Pulangyuta, 6225 Siquijor, Philippines
If you want to contribute additional info for this Siquijor Travel Guide, please use the contact form:)
Originally Published on June 22, 2013, this Siquijor Island Travel Guide was last updated in January 2020.
- Top 19 Travel Destinations For The Young And Broke
- 14 Amazing Beaches in Batangas to Visit for Summertime
- The Ultimate List of Beautiful Beaches in La Union Province
- Sagada Budget Travel Guide: Itinerary, Things to do + How to get There and more
- DIY Travel Guide: Islas De Gigantes Itinerary, Budget, Travel Tips and More