Feast of the Black Nazarene 2017 Schedule of Activities, Procession Route, Traffic Advisory and More
After welcoming the New Year, Devotees are now preparing for the Feast of the Black Nazarene 2017, a yearly event celebrated on the 9th of January. For this year, Manila authorities declared the 9th as a holiday, thereby giving devotees the chance to participate in many of the activities scheduled for the day.
Also known as Quiapo Fiesta or Pista ng Itim na Nazereno ng Quiapo, this religious festival is highly celebrated in the Philippines particularly in Manila. The “Traslacion,” or the ceremonial transfer of the centuries-old image of the Black Nazarene (Poong Nazareno), a statue depicting the Lord in Passion, from Quirino Grandstand in Luneta, to its home inside the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo, is held annually on Jan. 9, and is attended by millions of devotees from all over the Philippines.
Feast of the Black Nazarene 2017 Activities Schedule
December 31, 2016
Start of Novena Mass to Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno
New Year’s Eve Mass
January 1, 2017
Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
Procession of Mahal na Inang Maria
January 2-6, 2017
January 7, 2017
Procession of Replicas of the Black Nazarene
January 8, 2017
5:00 p.m. – onwards
Quirino Grandstand (Luneta)
January 9, 2017
Quirino Grandstand (Luneta)
3:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Hourly Eucharistic Celebration
January 10, 2017
Arrival of the Black Nazarene
Feast of the Black Nazarene 2017 Procession Route
As early as Monday, the Metro Manila Development Authority released the procession route for the 9th of January. The following pathway shall be followed starting 7AM:
- From the Quirino Grandstand, the procession will pass the Katigbak Drive through P. Burgos Street.
- This will turn left to Taft Avenue, passing through Jones Bridge and turning towards Escolta Street
- From Escolta Street, the procession will go left to Carlos Palanca Street, using the Quezon Bridge and proceeding to Quezon Boulevard and the Arlegui Street.
- From here, the procession will move to steets Fraternal, Vergara, Duque de Alba, Castillejos, and Farnecio.
- Next paths would be Arlegui Street, Nepomuceno, Aguila and Carcer
- For the last leg of the procession, the Black Nazarene will pass through Hidalgo and Plaza Del Carmen
- The Bilibid Viejo through Gil Puyat is up next
- From here, the streets of Guzman, Hidalgo and Barbose will be used before proceeding to Globo de Oro using Quezon Bridge.
- Next is Palanca Street and Villalobos through Plaza Miranda and finally – the Quiapo Church.
- MMDA Advises Alternate Routes
Feast of Black Nazarene 2017 Alternate routes
Despite being declared a holiday, there is still an expectation of traffic within Metro Manila as millions are likely to take part in the procession. For this reason, the MMDA advised several alternate routes for public utility vehicles to ensure that commuters would still reach their destinations on time.
MMDA re-routing schemes for Traslacion 2017 (Source: MANILA BULLETIN)
- All vehicles coming from northern part of Manila intending to utilize the stretch of Bonifacio Drive southbound (Manila Hotel and other offices at Port Area) shall turn right at Roberto S. Oca St., left at Delgado, left at 25th St., left at Bonifacio Drive, right at A. Soriano to Magallanes Drive, right at P. Burgos, go straight to Lagusnilad to Taft Ave. Likewise, other vehicles for southbound shall turn left at A. Soriano to point of destination.
- All vehicles using Taft Ave. northbound shall turn right at A. Villegas (Arroceros), right at Quezon bridge to point of destination. (Note: northbound of Quezon Blvd. is open to traffic).
- All vehicles coming from southern part of Manila intending to utilize the northbound of Roxas Blvd. from T.M. Kalaw to P. Burgos shall turn right at T.M. kalaw to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from Quezon City using the stretch of España shall turn right at P. Campa, left at Andalucia, right at Fugoso, left at T. Mapua, to point of destination.
- All PUJs/light vehicles coming from España intending to proceed to South Pier Zone, turn left at Nicanor Reyes, right at C.M. Recto, straight to Jose Abad Santos, left at Reina Regente, left at Juan Luna St., left at San Vicente St., take Jones Bridge to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from Divisoria intending to utilize the stretch of Recto shall turn right at T. Alonzo, right at Fugoso, left at Oroquieta, right at Alvarez St., left at Andalucia to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from Legarda shall turn right at C.M. Recto or left at Mendiola to point of destination.
- All heavy vehicles/cargo trucks coming from the South shall take Pres. Osmena, right at Pres. Quirino to Nagtahan via A.H. Lacson to Capulong (vice-versa).
How to Get to Quiapo Church:
Quezon Boulevard which is the main road to Quiapo Church will not be passable during the festival day and the best way to reach the Church is via LRT 1 and LRT 2.
- Via LRT 2 – Get off at Recto Station then walk towards the church from Claro M Recto and Quezon Boulevard.
- Via LRT 1 – Get off at Central Station or Carriedo Station then walk towards the The Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene or most commonly known as Quiapo Church.
Best Places to Stay in Quiapo Manila during the Feast of the Black Nazarene 2017
City State Hotel has one right beside the Quiapo Church and the other is near Hidalgo Street and Carriedo LRT Station right beside SM Carriedo.
Citystate Hotel Quiapo – beside Quiapo Church (book online)
Address: 475 Quezon Blvd. Cor. P. Paterno Quiapo, Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines
[Click here to search for hotels in Quiapo Manila]
2017 Feast of the Black Nazarene Safety Reminders
- Leave your valuables at home including your cellphones, mobile phone signals are sometimes turned off for security purposes.
- For Photographers, make sure to check the procession route and ask fellow experienced photographers for vantage points.
- Advise your family. Ensure that your house is properly secured before you leave. All electrical devices must be unplugged.
- Wear Comfortable clothes
- Bring an ID withcontact information of any of your family member in case of emergency
- Bring candies, crackers and refillable water bottle
- Make sure you are physically fit, if not don’t risk
- Avoidalcoholic drinks
- Know the location and means of access towards the medical stations,police stations and other available authorities within the Black Nazarene 2017 Procession Route.