After kayaking at the Tibiao River, we proceeded to Kayak Inn to experience Antique’s famous Kawa Hot Bath. Kayak Inn is located in an elevated area beside Calauagan River popularly known as Tibiao River. Aside from being the headquarters of Tribal Adventures in Tibiao, this is also the place where Kawa Hot Bath started.
Enjoying the Kawa hot bath
For some, seeing photos of a tourist having a Kawa hot bath in Antique looks scary. At first, it looks like someone is being cooked for a huge tribal celebration. Yeah It may look weird but this is probably one of the best tourism product I’ve seen in years.
Do I look scared? Of course not!!! LOL
Imagine an old rusty kawa (huge pan) turned into a clean hot bath tub with a local twist! Upon arrival at the place, we immediately selected our own Kawa then minutes after, we found ourselves enjoying a hot bath under the huge trees overlooking the beautiful Tibiao River and some nice rice terraces from afar.
Testing the waters
What is Kawa Hot Bath?
“Kawa” is the local word for a large thick fryer and looks like a giant wok. This was used to make brown sugar which is rich in molasses. A kawa bath is similar to Ofuro a type of bath which Japanese enjoy in rectangular tubs made of wood.
Karla is on Fire
Sitting in the middle of a kawa with hot water and herbs can give you a totally different experience. In fact, you might get the impression that you would be cooked and that what makes the experience enjoyable.
Kawa Hot Bath Party (photo courtesy of Belle Piccio of ChoosePhilippines.com)
The water in the kawa would slowly be heated, so that you feel comfortable and enjoy the warm comforts of the water. The water should be in the approximate range from 96 F to 105F.
One of the essential things to keep in mind when enjoying the hot water bath is to gently introduce your body into the kawa before jump into it. Your body temperature slowly gets regulated and it does not suffer from any time of shock. According to our guide, its not advisable to take a cold shower after the hot bath.
What are the benefits of a kawa hot bath?
Just like swimming in hot springs, these hot baths in Tibiao Antique is very popular because of its healing properties which are:
- Lowers your body’s stress and strain level – Most adventure seekers enjoy this kawa bath after a few days of adrenalin pumping activities. This hot bath soothes their stressed out muscle in the body and calms their mind which has enjoyed an adrenal high for a long period of time. Sometimes local herbs are introduced and most people go to sleep when enjoying this bath.
- Removing toxins from the body – The kawa hot bath enjoys a reputation of removing toxins from your body. This warm water can release endorphins which will make you feel more relaxed. Your muscles would feel relaxed when soaking in the warm water with some relaxing scents from local herbs and flowers added into the water.
If you are planning a break for yourself, book a ticket to Aklan or Iloilo and enjoy this exotic kawa bath in Tibiao Antique.
Apart from this Hot Bath experience, Antique has so much more to offer to tourists. Checkout Katahum Tours for their tour packages. For inquiries call Flord Nicson Calawag (+63) 919- 813-9893 or (+63) 926-4 15-1424.
How to Get There
- From Manila, you can fly to (Godofredo P. Ramos Airport) in Caticlan Aklan (1 hour and 10 minutes). Tibiao Antique is only 82.6 kilometers (1 hour and 30 minutes) drive away from Caticlan.
- From Iloilo City – Tibiao is just 172 kilometers away or a 3-4 hours drive from the city. Busses and Vans plying the Iloilo-Caticlan, Iloilo-Culasi or Iloilo-Libertad routes available at the Molo Bus Terminal can take you directly to Tibiao, Antique.
- From Caticlan, Aklan (Boracay) – Tibiao is 93 kilometers away or a 2-3 hours drive from Caticlan. Busses and Vans plying the Iloilo via San Jose route can take you directly to Tibiao Antique from Caticlan terminal in Aklan.