Mantayupan Falls In Barili Cebu
We’re off to the southwestern part of Cebu to visit the municipality of Barili, derived from the word balili, a kind of grass growing in the locality. Our priority is to check out one of the highest waterfalls in Cebu called Mantayupan (Ambakan) Falls and here are seven other reasons why:
In solitude with nature
1. It only takes 1.5 hours from Cebu South Bus Terminal to Barili (approximately 61 kilometers) and the fare is about 70 pesos.
On our way to Mantayupan Falls
Dangling roots at the entrance
You can easily know that you have arrived at your destination since Shamrock Center is a mandatory bus stop of the Ceres bus liner, usually for snacks but especially for those who are begging to use the restrooms since San Fernando. Laughs.
2. Since we arrived at the falls by 8 in the morning, we actually had the entire area by ourselves.
Fancy a game
We had no photo-bombers and it felt as if we owned the place. Upon entering, the tranquility of the place makes you think that you are in a hidden jungle listening to birds chirping but the thundering roar of the falling water increases in your every step.
3. You can bring the whole family, grill your own food and have a nice picnic by the falls.
Barbecue for lunch
7Eleven store in Barili
If you are travelling alone, you can buy food at the carenderias along the way or you can choose to eat at the barbecue stall situated by the entrance. By the way, the cooperative’s sari-sari store also sells cheap San Miguel Beer.
14 Meter Falls
4. This eco-adventure was very affordable.
Welcome to Mantayupan Falls
The motorcycle to the falls was only 30 pesos per person plus the road toward the falls (about 800 meters) is already concrete. The entrance fees were only 20 pesos for adults and 10 pesos for kids. For less than 250 pesos, you can already enjoy this natural wonder!
5. The trek from the entrance to the 14 meter falls only took a minute and going to the 98 meter falls was only a five minute walk up some stairs and railings.
98 Meter Falls
For me, this is by far the most accessible waterfall in Cebu.
6. Aside from being a tourist destination, Mantayupan Falls has been providing hydro-electric power to Barili for more than ten years now, talk about renewable sources of energy!
Other sources of livelihood for the locals of Barili, thanks to the water supplied by Mantayupan, include mini fishponds and rice fields.
Points of Interest in Barili
7. If you arrive early, you can check out various points of interest like Sayaw Beach, Molave Milk Station, Boloc-Boloc Springs and many more.
Shamrock Barili Bus Stop
How to get there:
Ride the Bato-Barili Ceres bus route from Cebu South Bus Terminal in Cebu City. The bus leaves every hour starting 2AM. I recommend taking the 6AM trip so that you can visit various points of interest in Barili.
Bato via Barili Bus
Ask the bus conductor to drop you off at Shamrock Center. Last trip back to Cebu City is 7PM from Samboan. I recommend taking the 5PM trip just to be sure.
Together, let’s FIND THE OTHERS at kingofsinulog.wordpress.com. Later strangers!