Bovec Bucket List: Top 12 things to see and do in Bovec, Slovenia
If you are planning to visit Slovenia, the beautiful town of Bovec should be on top of your list. There are a lot of best things to do in Bovec, as it is held as the adrenaline capital of Slovenia. From various water sports at the Soca valley to visiting ancient sites, Bovec, Slovenia will surely make your vacation memorable.
To plan your travel, here are the top 10 best things to do in Bovec, Slovenia.
Travel back in time as you visit the Kluže Fortress or Fort Hermann. The ancient fort was originally constructed with wood in 1472 to strengthen the defense against the Turks. It is a historical site where Napoleon’s army fought in 1796 and 1797 and was greatly damaged in World War I during the Battles of the Isonzo.
The most stunning river flowing along the Alps, the Soca River has a magnetic emerald color called “The Emerald Beauty”. Soca River is one of the most enchanting and rare rivers across the world, measuring 138 kilometers long and now serves different water sports activities. Apart from its hypnotic beauty, the river is a historical site where several battles take place in World War I.
Adrenaline-check Eco Place
To make your visit worthwhile and fun in Bovec, stay at the Adrenaline-check Eco Place. The environmental-friendly campsite is perfect for a family vacation featuring a beautiful view of the Julian Alps. They also offer lots of adventurous activities such as rafting, canyoning, mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, and sky diving.
Outdoor Museum Ravelnik
For history enthusiast tourists, don’t miss the chance to visit the Outdoor Museum Ravelnik in Bovec. The museum is a former Austro-Hungarian first line of defense back in the 1900s. It can be accessed by heading through the Predel and Trenta valley where a Word War I military cemetery lies. Upon reaching the cemetery, hike towards Trenta for over 100 meters and soon you will reach the museum.
Another hidden gem and natural wonder in Bovec is the stunning Boka Waterfall. It is situated in western Slovenia, close to the Soca River. The Boka waterfall has two stages, measuring 106 meters and 33 meters high, and 18 meters wide. Tourists can also hike up over an hour to enjoy the beautiful view on the top.
Kanin-Sella Nevea Ski Resort
Held as the highest ski center in Slovenia, measuring 2,300 meters high, the Kanin-Sella Nevea Ski Resort is certainly a must-see. It is situated on Mt Kanin and Sella Nevea Pass at the borders of Italy and Slovenia. The resort offers different activities such as footgolf, paragliding, Julian Alps skiing, and skiing tour.
If you are into hiking, you can visit the Rombon Mountains which is part of the Kanin group main ridge. The magnificent summit can be seen on the Soca River and is very isolated. So make sure to gear up and bring supplies before heading up. It can be accessed through Bovec but the trail is steeper, or pass through Kluže Fortress for a simpler but longer route.
Dobra Vila Bovec
The Dobra Vila Bovec is a recommended place to stay and dine, offering great views of the Soca valley. The hotel and restaurant are housed on a historic telephone central office, praised for their cozy lodging, delicious foods, and vibrant outdoor space.
Gostilna Sovdat is an Eastern European Restaurant in Bovec and one of the most recommended places to try local food. They offer dishes such as burgers, roast beef Gorgonzola, mixed grilled plate, trout, stuffed calamari, and craft beer.
Traveling to another country or town won’t be complete without trying out local goods. Visit the Mercator Market to grab some local goods that you can take home as souvenirs. From snacks to fresh finds, and ready-to-eat meals Mercator is the place to go.
- Deanna, (2021), 10 Best Things To Do In Bovec, Slovenia – Updated 2021, Trip 101
- Yoakum, (2021), The 10 Best Things to do Good for Kids in Bovec, Slovenian Littoral Region, Things To Do
- Top things to do in Bovec, Lonely Planet
Our Top Hotel Picks for Bovec
- Hotel Soca – Favorite by couples, Hotel Soca is popular for hikers and ski enthusiasts. The hotel also has a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, bar, a shared lounge, and garden. Boasting family rooms, this property also provides guests with a sun terrace. Rooms are equipped with a balcony with garden views and free WiFi. A buffet breakfast is available each morning at Hotel Soca.
- Hotel Sanje OB Soci Located in Bovec, 3 km from Soca River, Hotel Sanje ob Soci offers a cozy ambiance and stylish design with modern amenities such as free Wi-Fi and air-conditioning. The hotel features a bar with a spacious terrace, a massage parlor, and free parking for all guests. Canoeing, rafting, and fishing can be enjoyed on the Soca River 3 km away. Kanin Mountain provides hiking opportunities, 3 km away.
- Hotel Dobra Vila Bovec –Surrounded by green sceneries, Hotel Dobra Vila features a wine boutique and air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi. The traditionally decorated rooms are all soundproofed. They come with cable TVs, DVD players, and a fridge. A bridal suite is offered as well. Dobra Villa is within only 200 m from the center of Bovec, where guests can find the local bus station and some bars and restaurants. The nearest airport is close to the Italian city of Trieste, 70 km away.
Bovec Travel and Tour Packages
Want more updates about new package tours and tourist attractions in Bovec, Slovenia, that you can add to your itinerary?