#WalangPasok: Work and Class cancellations for October 31, 2019 (Thursday)
(Manila, Philippines) – In observance of the Undas or the All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day this coming Nov. 1 and 2, a lot of schools, as well as government units, have already announced work and class suspensions.
The government has not yet officially declared if Oct. 31 is a non-working holiday across the nation. However, some institutions and schools decided to declare the day as a holiday.
Walang Pasok Updates: Oktubre 31, Huwebes
(As of 1:01am, October 29, 2019) Here’s an updated list of towns, cities, and schools that canceled classes/work on Thursday:
As of this writing, here is the list of class and work suspensions:
- Manila – Classes in all levels in public and private schools, local government offices
- Dagupan City, Pangasinan – Special non-working day for all government offices, and private and public schools at all levels
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan – Suspension of classes in all levels in private and public schools, and work in government offices starting 12 noon
- Cotabato province – Classes in all levels to give way to the provincial government’s post-earthquake rapid damage analysis
- Zamboanga del Sur – Work in government offices except frontline services at the Zamboanga del Sur Medical Center and Malasakit Center, and security units
- Isabela Province – the governor of the province, Rodolfo T. Albano III, decided to declare Oct. 31 as a special non-working holiday among government as well as non-government offices across the province. The reason is to give enough time and opportunity for those who wish to travel to the “place of the toms and graves of their dead ancestors and conduct cleanup and perform maintenance thereof.”
- CIIT Philippines, Quezon City – Classes in all levels
- UP Diliman – Classes in all levels and offices, starting 12 noon
- De La Salle University-Manila – classes and work suspensions from Oct. 31 through Nov. 2.
- Asian College-Quezon City Campus – work and class suspensions from October 31 through Nov. 3, 2019
- De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde – classes and work suspensions from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2
- La Consolacion College-Manila – classes and work suspensions from Oct. 30 through Nov. 2
- Cagayan State University – Classes in all levels and offices
- Baliuag University, Bulacan – Classes, offices starting 12 noon
- University of Batangas – Classes in all levels, offices beginning 12 noon; no classes for College of Law
- Lyceum of the Philippines University Batangas – Classes in all levels, offices
- Manuel S. Enverga University Foundation, Lucena City, Quezon – Classes in all levels, offices
- University of Nueva Caceres, Naga City – Classes in all levels, from 12 noon onwards
- Ateneo de Davao University – Classes in all levels, offices but the finance office will be open during office hours on October 31 in view of the ongoing student enrollment
- Lyceum of the Philippines University Davao – Classes in all levels, offices
Judging from what happened last year, however, the President suspended government work in the afternoon of October 31, allowing employees to travel for the holiday, especially to those who will head to provinces to visit their dearly beloved departed ones.
Apart from Nov. 1, President Rodrigo Duterte also added November 2 a non-working holiday for All Souls’ Day, as stated under Proclamation No. 555.
The reason according to the said policy instrument is to boost family ties by providing more time for All Souls’ Day and All Saints’ Day. On top of that, this could also help promote domestic tourism.
Stay tuned for more updates.
Department of Education (DepEd) Class Suspension Guideline:
- DepEd Calls on parents to determine whether their children should go to school during typhoons, floods and other calamities in the absence of official announcements from DepEd.
- In the absence of storm signal warnings, LGU are expected to announce whole day class cancellations not later than 4:30AM or half-day class suspensions not later than 11:00AM.
- Storm signal warning declared by PAGASA between 10:00pm and 4:30AM reflect the whole day cancellation of classes in appropriate levels in the affected areas.
- Storm signal warnings declared by PAGASA by 11:00AM automatically suspend the same day’s afternoon classes in appropriate levels in the affected areas.
*Suspension of classes for the tertiary level (colleges and universities) will be at the discretion of school management.
Flight Cancellations in the Philippines
(We are still waiting for flight updates from Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, and AirAsia Philippines.)
Walang Pasok Updates: Some Classes for Thursday, October 31, 2019, have been canceled in some areas in observance of the Undas or All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.
Keep refreshing this page for more #WalangPasok updates.
Bookmark us, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our feeds to get the latest updates on class suspensions.
Searching for best hotels and affordable flights? Check out our complete list of affordable hotels and resorts via Agoda or you may also see available Airbnb properties in the city.
Want more stories like this? Please follow #TeamOutofTown, on Facebook, and Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for more travel ideas.