Pahiyas Festival 2016
All over the world, Filipinos are known to be the people who love to celebrate many fiestas/ festivals every year. One of which is the Lucban, Quezon‘s Pahiyas Festival considered to be one of the country’s most popular and most colorful festivals. Pahiyas Festival 2016 is no different; it showcases the bountiful harvest of the towns of Tayabas, Sariaya, Gumaca and Tiaong in honor of San Isidro Labrador?Patron Saint of Farmers.
Fascinatingly, the core of the festival is the lavish decorations embellish on every houses in Lucban. If you look closely to the ornamentation of the household, you’ll notice that it is made of “Kiping”, it is a leaf-shaped and multi-colored rice paste wafers designed along with the fruits and flowers.
What made Pahiyas Festival 2016 very exceptional is that the heart of the celebration held every May 15th will fall on Sunday, in short many visitors and tourists can chip in to the festival; this includes the San Isidro Labrador Procession and the Timpalak Pahiyas 2016. Aside from that, there are other activities that will be held this year’s festival. And here are the activities and expected dates you should take note so be sure to plan ahead of time.
May 15th (Sunday)
- Holy Mass– “Pagaalay ng Pasasalamat kay San Isidro Labrador”, this is considered to be the official opening of the festival that commence at 6 o’clock in the morning
- San Isidro Labrador Procession – this is one of the highlights of the festival that was done after the Holy Mass joined by numerous devotees of San Isidro Labrador, the procession was held along Pahiyas Route.
- Timpalak Pahiyas- also, this is one of the highlights of the festival. This is the yearly competition for the best ornamented house, decorations include kiping, fruits and flowers and other adornments. Interestingly, this year’s grand prize is astoundingly P100, 000.
- Grand Parade- this features the parade of floats, carabaos, marching bands and street dancers. Considerably, this is the jolly and cheery part of the festival. All over the year, the parade starts at 2:00 pm along Pahiyas Route.
- Timpalak Pahiyas Kutitap- this is usually done in the evening which showcases the best light designs and beautiful fireworks display along with band performances, usually starts at 6:00pm
May 16th (Monday)
- Karera ng Kabayo- if you are fond of horses and horse racing, this one really suits you. This is held at Brgy. Palola, usually starts at 9:00am.
May 17th (Tuesday)
- Timpalak Garbo Pa Rin 3 Contest- this activity is done usually along Pahiyas Route that started in the year 2014.
May 19th (Thursday)
- Awarding of Pahiyas 2016 Winners- officially, this is the closing portion of the festival whereas the winners of the Timpalak Pahiyas 2016 will be awarded at Rizal Park, usually starts at 3:00pm.
Seemingly, the Pahiyas Festival 2016 is indeed a perfect getaway tour before the summer ends especially if you’re living in the urban areas like Metro Manila and opting to escape the stressful traffic everyday and pollution all over your face, now is the great time for you to experience the colorful and amazing Pahiyas Festival.
How to get to Lucban Quezon
Take the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) and exit in any of the following routes:
Exit 52a (Lucena, Legazpi, Batangas exit)
Towns to pass:
Sto. Tomas Junction – Alaminos – San Pablo – Tiaong – Candelaria – Sariaya – Lucena City – Tayabas – LUCBAN
Travel time : Approximately 3-4 hours
Exit 52b (Calamba, Los Baños, Pagsanjan exit)
Towns to pass:
Calamba – Los Baños (College) – Bay – Pila – Sta. Cruz – Pagsanjan – Cavinti – Luisiana – LUCBAN
Travel time : Approximately 2-3 hours
By Bus / public transportation
Regular commercial buses ply the three-hour Manila-Lucena route passing Tiaong, Candelaria and Sariaya or the Manila – Calamba – Los Baños – Sta. Cruz route. Whether you are In Lucena City or Sta. Cruz, Laguna, there are jeepneys and mini buses to that will take you to Lucban and other neighboring towns and outlying municipalities. Bus terminals are located along EDSA-Kamuning in Quezon City, Araneta Center in Cubao, Buendia-Taft Avenues and EDSA in Pasay City.
There are also buses and vans in Alabang that will take you to Sta. Cruz, Laguna or Lucena City then transfer to a jeepney in going to Lucban.
Other Things to do in Lucban during 2016 Pahiyas Festival
- Visit Kamay ni Hesus Shrine
- Eat Pancit Lucban
- Visit neighbouring town Tayabas for Mayohan sa Tayabas Festival
Where to stay in Lucban during Pahiyas
- Checkout our List of Hotels and Resorts in Lucban Quezon