Japan Travel Tips for Filipinos: How to Get a JR Pass in the Philippines?
Manila, Philippines — Japan is a dream destination for many Filipinos – which is why it isn’t surprising that many visit the country every year. A highly progressive place, Japan’s many locations are mainly connected through a rail system, many of which are operated by Japan Rail. By getting a Japan Rail (JR) pass, you’ll have the chance to board the transit for an unlimited number of times, allowing you to visit numerous locations such as Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, and more. The JR Pass can be availed only to tourists by Filipinos BEFORE they leave for Japan and would perhaps be the most cost-efficient method of traveling to this beautiful country.
During our recent Osaka Fam Trip, Cebu Pacific partnered with JR-West Rail Pass for us to experience Japan’s famous World Class Rail System. We were given a Kansai Area Pass with two days’ validity, allowing us to visit Kyoto and other nearby areas. From Osaka, we could travel by rail to Kansai International Airport in less than an hour using Kansai-airport Express HARUKA. So far, It’s the most efficient railway system I have ever tried.
In this JR Pass Guide, we listed frequently asked questions about how to obtain a JR Pass, How much, where to buy, Pass Validity, and more.
What is the Japan Rail Pass?
Japan Rail Pass, or JR Pass, is a special discounted train ticket that allows you to enjoy unlimited train trips using the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group). Japan Rail Pass is the most economical means of traveling throughout Japan by rail.
Who is eligible to buy a JAPAN RAIL PASS?
The Japan Rail Pass is only for tourists who have obtained a Japanese Tourist Visa; it is only available to non-Japanese people visiting Japan for a short time for tourism purposes.
Why do you need to get a JR Pass for Whole Japan?
There are many reasons why a JR Pass would be better than buying your train tickets every time you board. For one thing, it’s more efficient; for another, these passes come with complete instructions on the Japanese train system. There’s an illustration that informs you about the slightly confusing rail system and how you can go about Japan without getting lost.
Who Can Buy JR Pass (Whole Japan Area)?
You must know that the JR Pass is only sold to foreign travelers who visit Japan with a “Temporary Visitor” status. What this means is that the JR Pass is not intended for those who are entering the country as an “Entertainer,” “Trainee,” or those with “Re-entry Permit” status.
Before you purchase, check first if you meet one of the following two qualifications:
- Foreign tourists visiting Japan for sightseeing purposes from foreign countries with a “Short Stay” immigration status.
- Japanese passport holders who have been residing outside of Japan for 10+ years are eligible to use a JR pass if they have 1) a valid Japanese passport and 2) a Copy of Overseas Residential Registration/Certificate of Overseas Residence from the embassy/legation of Japan in your foreign country of residence. Eligibility for use from June 1, 2017.
What is Whole Japan Rail Pass?
The pass is a multi-usage train ticket that allows the Japan Rail Pass holders to take multiple train services across the Japan train system.
Where To Buy (Japan Rail Pass) JR Pass for Whole Japan In The Philippines
Note that you cannot buy the JR Pass when you enter Japan. Instead, you can buy it through these two options:
- You can get it from an accredited travel agency in Manila and Cebu, Philippines (see the list below) and
- You can purchase it online, and it will be delivered to your doorstep.
In the Philippines, for instance, one can buy a JR Pass through the accredited agencies mentioned on this list. If you are buying one online, however, you can grab it from Klook.com, which offers the lowest JR Pass rates in the market.
Visit Klook to avail current JR Pass Promotion for the Philippines.
Check JR Pass Rates and Discounts here
(Updated January 2023 ) List of Accredited JR Pass Travel Agencies in Metro Manila and Cebu:
|JTB Corp.’s authorized travel agents||JTB ASIA PACIFIC PHIL. CORP. (MANILA OFFICE)||18/F, Unit 2, RCBC Savings Bank Corp. Center, 1634 Bonifacio South, BGC||TEL 02-894-5528|
|ATTIC TOURS PHILS.,INC||Unit 203 Coko Building, 1 Patio Madrigal Compound 2550 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay|
City, 1302, Metro Manila
|CTS TRAVEL RECOMMENDS INC.||Unit 703, 20th Drive Corporate Center (Jecoprime), 20th Drive, McKinley Business|
Park, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, Metro Manila, 1634
|FRIENDSHIP TOURS CEBU||Unit 215 A, Business Center B, Oakridge Business Park 880 A.S Fortuna St.,|
Banilad, Mandaue City
|FRIENDSHIP TOURS MANILA||3rd Floor Dusit Thani Hotel, Ayala Center, Makati City 1226||TEL(1) 02-8195644|
|KNT-CT Holdings (kintetsu international)||H.I.S.(Philippines)Travel Corp.||Unit 1404, Picadilly Star Building 4th Ave. cor. 27th St., Bonifacio Global City Taguig City, Metro Manila, Philippines 1634||TEL (02) 7718-5010|
FAX (02) 7720-9616
|ARS DREAM TRAVEL AND TOURS, CORP||#1701 MetroPolitan Tower, 1746 Mabini St. Malate, Metro-Manila, Philippines||TEL (63)2-525-7187|
|Attic Tours,Phils.,Inc.||Unit203 Coko Bldg.1, Patio Madrigal2500, Roxas Blvd.,Pasay City, PHILIPPINES||TEL (63)2556-6301|
|Nippon Travel Agency’s authorized travel|
|Discovery Tour Inc.||301 G/F Sagittarius Bldg., H.V Dela Costa St., Salcedo Village,Makati City|
|Discovery Tour – Cebu Branch||Door No.203-A1 2nd Flr., Northgate Center Don Manuel Gotianuy Complex Gov.|
Cuenco Ave Banilad City Cebu Philippines
|RELI TOURS & TRAVEL||5th Floor Bridgeway SM Megamall Mandaluyong City,Philippines||TEL 632-894-1210|
|Klook Travel Technology Limited.||25th Floor, The Curve Building, 32nd Street cor. 3rd Ave., Bonifacio Global City, Taguig 1634||TEL 852-3018-3460|
|Klook Travel Technology Limited.||Unit 2-807, 8F, Oakridge IT Center 2, 880 A. S. Fortuna Street, Banilad Mandaue City, Cebu 6014, Cebu, Philippines||TEL 852-3018-3460|
|JALPAK Group’s authorized travel agents||Universal Holidays, Inc. Makati Office||Mezzanine Floor Dusit Thani Manila, Ayala Center, Makati City, Philippines||TEL 632-8593888|
|Universal Holidays, Inc. Cebu branch||2nd Level JY Square, IT Center 3 Salinas Drive corner Gorordo Avenue, Lahug,|
6000 Cebu Philippines
Japan Rail Pass Validity period
- The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
- Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS (for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14). At that time, you must specify the date you want to start using the PASS. It can be any date within one month from receiving the PASS.
- Once a starting date has been assigned to the PASS, it cannot be changed.
How to conduct seat reservations?
Seat reservations are required before you board the train. There are 2 ways for you to reserve train tickets.
- Just visit the ticket office in the stations and show your Japan rail pass to the staff to get your reserved seat JR train tickets.
- You may also visit a reserved seat ticket machine in JR line stations to book and issue a reserved seat ticket without waiting in line at the ticket office.
Klook.com also sells JR Passes (click here). Visit Klook to avail yourself of the current JR Pass Promotion for the Philippines.
Types of JR Pass
Note that there are two types of JR Pass: Ordinary and Green Pass.
- The Green Pass is more expensive and gives you access to the roomier and more exclusive parts of the Bullet Train.
- The Blue Pass, Of course, with Japan being one of the most disciplined countries, Ordinary accommodation is every bit as clean and comfortable.
Keep in mind that the rates for children and adults are different, and it’s best to first inquire exactly how old children have to be for the reduced pass to apply.
How much is the JR Pass in PH?
How Much Does It Cost? The cost depends on where you purchase the JR Pass. You may want to call the accredited agencies mentioned on the list below to narrow down your options.
For green car
For ordinary cars
The above table shows the Japan Rail Pass exchange certificate price list in the Philippines. The actual price in local currency is converted by the BSR (bank selling rate) at the issuance of the exchange certificate. Please note that when you visit Japan, the exchange rate at the time of purchase may differ from the actual exchange rate on the date of the visit.
*Prices shown are accurate as of January 2023. Prices may change depending on where you buy your Japan Rail Pass.
Can I buy the Japan Rail Pass in Japan?
The Japan-wide Rail pass cannot be purchased in Japan, as it is exclusively for non-residents of Japan, and the nationwide pass can only be purchased outside of Japan. However, all other regional rail passes may be purchased in Japan.
How to Activate and Claim your JR Pass?
How To Use Your JR Pass:
- Once activated, the JR Pass is valid only for 7/14/21 consecutive days within one month
- To board a train, show it to the train station ticket gate staff.
Which lines does the JR PASS cover?
Can I order JR Pass for other people?
Yes, you can order for your family, friends, and colleagues, as long as you fill in the correct details that correspond with the traveler. Ensure that the name and gender of the pass holder match his/her passport details.
Flights from Manila to Osaka, Japan
Cebu Pacific, the largest airline in the Philippines, flies between Manila and Osaka five times weekly, with the lowest year-round fares starting from PHP6,399.
Cebu Pacific also flies from Manila to Tokyo (Narita), Nagoya, and Fukuoka, as well as from Cebu to Tokyo (Narita). Book its trademark lowest fares now through http://bit.ly/CEBOsakaflights or(+632)7020888, or follow its Facebook or Twitter pages for the latest seat sales.
Get your JR Pass via KLOOK
Are you looking for the Cheapest JR Pass in PH? Purchase the cheapest R Pass available to the Philippines via KKday and get your pass delivered to any Philippine address in 5 -7 business days.
- Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass) – All Japan –
BOOK YOUR JR PASS NOW
- JR West Kansai Area Pass –
BOOK YOUR JR PASS NOW
- Osaka Travel Guide
- Tokyo Bucket List: Most-loved Activities in Tokyo, Japan
- Japan Visa Requirements
- Travel Essentials: What to Bring on Your Japan Trip