Quiapo Church Fiesta 2019: Feast of the Black Nazarene Schedule of Activities
Table of Contents
- The Feast of the Black Nazarene 2019 will Feature Replicas of the Image of Christ
- Drones are NOT Allowed to Fly Above the Routes of the Traslacion in this Year’s Feast of the Black Nazarene
The year is coming to an end and come January 9, 2019, devotees will flock to Quiapo for the annual Traslacion. This religious festival in Quiapo is celebrated by devout Catholics especially with the belief that the image of the Black Nazarene can help them cure their illnesses. According to the administrators of the Church of the Black Nazarene, they will put life-sized replicas of the Black Nazarene in different stations.
The centuries-old Black Nazarene is hard to reach during this time because of the many people who come to the feast that’s why the church administrators decided to put the replicas at different stations. This is also to avoid congestion where people get hurt during the procession due to millions of devotees who participate in the traslacion each year.
Drones will be not allowed this year to fly through the route of the processions according to the Philippine National Police (PNP).
How to Get to Quiapo Church
Quezon Boulevard, the main road to Quiapo Church, will not be passable during the Quiapo Fiesta. The best way to reach the church is by using LRT 1 or LRT 2.
- Via LRT 1 – Get off at the Recto Station near Isetann Mall then walk towards the church from Claro M. Recto.
- Via LRT 2 – Get off at the Carriedo or Central Station then walk towards the Quiapo Church.
Feast of the Black Nazarene 2019 Schedule of Activities
On January 9, 2019, the procession is expected to leave the Luneta Grandstand around 6 am and would bring back the image of the Black Nazarene to Quiapo Church. The procession is expected to last for 12 hours.
Complete Schedule To be announced…
2019 Feast of the Black Nazarene Procession Route
The route of the Grand Procession of the Black Nazarene will be from:
- Quirino Grandstand to Katigbak Drive thru P. Burgos
- left Taft Ave. thru Jones Bridge
- right to Dasmarinas St.
- right to Plaza Sta. Cruz St.
- left Carlos Palanca St. under Quezon Bridge
- left Quezon Blvd.,
- right to Arlegui st.
- right to Fraternal st.
- right to Vergara st.
- left to Duque de Alba St.
- left to Castillejos st.
- left to Farnecio st.
- right to Arlegui st.
- left to Nepomuceno st. (counterflow)
- left to Aguila st.
- right to Carcer st.
- right to Hidalgo thru Plaza del Carmen
- left to Bilibid Viejo thru Puyat
- left to Guzman st.
- right to Hidalgo St.
- left to Bautista (Barbosa) st.
- right to Globo de Oro thru under Quezon Bridge
- right to Palanca St.
- right to Villalobos thru Plaza Miranda to Quiapo Church.
Road Closures and Alternate Routes during 2019 Black Nazarene Procession / Traslacion
The MMDA has released a list of road closures, as well as re-routing of vehicles for next week.
January 7 (Monday)
Road closures (11 a.m. onwards)
- The southbound lane of Quezon Blvd. (Quiapo), from A. Mendoza/Fugoso to Plaza Miranda
- The westbound lane of España Boulevard from P. Campa to Lerma St.
Re-routing of vehicles
- All vehicles coming from España Blvd. intending to proceed to Roxas Blvd./South Pier Zone/Taft Ave. shall turn right to P. Campa, straight to Fugoso St., to point of destination.
- All vehicles intending to utilize Quezon Blvd. coming from A. Mendoza St. shall turn right to Fugoso, left to Rizal Ave. to point of destination.
Note: Closing and opening of road closure will be based on actual traffic condition.
January 8 (Tuesday)
Road closures (10 p.m. onwards)
- Katigbak Drive and South Drive (one lane accessible to Manila and H2O Hotel)
- The northbound lane of Quezon and Mc Arthur Bridge from Bonifacio Shrine onwards
- Taft Avenue from Ayala Blvd to Bonifacio Shrine
Re-routing of vehicles
- Light vehicles intending to utilize the stretch of Bonifacio Drive and Roxas Blvd southbound shall turn around to Anda Circle going to A. Soriano Ave. turn right to Gen. Luna St. to Burgos-Orosa St., then turn left to TM Kalaw St. to Taft Avenue to point of destination.
- Trucks and other heavy vehicles intending to utilize the stretch of Bonifacio Drive Southbound shall turn around Anda Circle going back to Northbound lane of Road 10 to C3 to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from southern part of Manila intending to utilize the northbound lane of Roxas Blvd. from TM Kalaw St. to P. Burgos St. shall turn right to TM Kalaw St. left to Orosa St. going to Intramuros left to A. Soriano Ave. to point of destination.
- Vehicles traveling along P Burgos St shall turn right to Finance Road to Ayala Avenue to point of destination.
- Vehicles using Taft Avenue northbound shall turn right to Ayala Blvd to point of destination.
January 9 (Wednesday)
Road closures (12 a.m.)
- Stretch of Mc Arthur, Jones and Quezon Bridge
- Roxas Boulevard from Katigbak Drive to TM Kalaw St.
- Both lanes of Quezon Blvd. (Quiapo) will be closed to traffic, from A. Mendoza/Fugoso St. and España Ave / P. Campa St. for southbound and from Taft Avenue/Ayala Blvd for northbound
Re-routing of vehicles
- Vehicles coming from Quezon City using the stretch of España Avenue shall turn right to P. Campa St., then turn left to A. Mendoza St., then turn right to Fugoso St., turn right to CM Recto Avenue or left to Nicanor Reyes St., turn right to CM Recto Avenue to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Legarda St. shall turn right to CM Recto Avenue or turn left to Mendiola St. to their point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Caloocan City utilizing Rizal Avenue shall turn right to Fugoso St. or CM Recto Avenue, to point of destination.
- Heavy vehicles/Cargo Trucks shall take Pres. Osmeña, to Pres. Quirino Avenue to Nagtahan via AH Lacson Avenue to Capulong St. (vise-versa).
- All buses using Taft Avenue northbound shall turn right to Ayala Ave to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Reina Regente St. utilizing southbound lane shall turn right to San Fernando St. or make a U-turn at Plaza Ruiz to point of destination.
- Light vehicles intending to utilize the stretch of Bonifacio Drive and Roxas Blvd southbound shall turn around to Anda Circle going to Delpan or Moriones to point of destination.
The PNP Chief for the National Capital Region recently announced that 7,100 cops will be deployed to assure the security of the public.
The PNP chief added that mobile phone coverage in the area will be shut down and that a “No Fly Zone” and “No Sail Zone” will be implemented for the event. (source)
Recommended Hotels in Quiapo, Manila during the Festival of the Black Nazarene 2019
City State Hotel is the best place to stay in Quiapo, Manila due to its accessibility. It has one right beside the Quiapo Church. There’s another City State Hotel near Hidalgo Street and Carriedo LRT Station, just right beside SM Carriedo.
- Citystate Hotel Quiapo – located right beside Quiapo Church (book online) Address: 475 Quezon Blvd. Cor. P. Paterno Quiapo, Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines
- Citystate Hotel Palanca – in front of SM Carriedo (book online) Address: C. Palanca Sr. St., (near Hidalgo Camera Shops), Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines
Feast of the Black Nazarene Procession Safety Reminders
- Leave all your valuables at home. If you cannot leave them, make sure to secure your cellphones properly. Mobile phone signals are sometimes turned off in the area for security purposes.
- Advise your family. Make sure that your house is properly secured before you leave. Check if all electrical devices are unplugged.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Bring an ID with the contact information of your family members, in case of emergency.
- Bring crackers, candies, and water.
- You should be physically fit. If you are not, do not take a risk and stay at home.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks.
- For photographers, make sure to check the procession route and ask other experienced photographers for vantage points.